Wednesday, April 12, 2006

This Is My Most Awesomest Garden

This is a very exciting time, people. The garden is finally coming together and it's like virtual Eden back there. I'm serious, I think I saw some naked people back there last night, running through the ferns. Saturday was the epic Home Depot run, complete with rented U-Haul pick-up truck and frigid, terrible rain.

When we left at 8am the weather was overcast and warm enough for a t-shirt, but as soon as we arrived at HD the rain was coming down in streams while the temp dropped ten degrees and hour. My quest involved hours and hours searching through greenery and bags of dirt in the garden center, which is, of course, outside. Not that I let Mother Nature stop me from reaping the benefits of her commercial cousin, the baby plant producing farm. By the end of the morning I looked like a drowned rat covered in sod mud, all in the name of my backyard beautification.

Speaking of sod mud, did you know sod comes with its own bugs? Like worms and little beetles? It makes sense, but I suppose I never thought about it before. It's cool until you're standing on a truck bed and someone throws a log of it at you with a "Watch out, that one's covered in bugs!" Which only helped foster the unfounded fear that the muddy grass rolls were crawling with tarantulas, making their way from the green depths into the legs of my pants, where they would lay in wait until I made it back to my house so they could stealthily detach from my jeans and lay 1000 eggs underneath my bed, so that when the sun went down and I was falling blissfully asleep after a hard day of gardening, they would raise their baby spider army and eat me alive. (Q: What do you get when you invoke irrational tarantula fears in someone? A: Bad spelling karma.)

Luckily, good ol' HD had everything I needed:
50 paving stones
18 striped marigolds
14 snapdragons
12 dutch millers
6 strawberry plants
5 purple & white nemesia
4 tomato plants
3 gerber daisies
1 partridge in a pear tree gorgeous bell-flowered potted plant, that turned out to be a shrub that will grow to enormous proportions. oops.

VoilĂ !
Home Depot stash

I was only pissed about one thing: I forgot the propane tank! How am I supposed to force people to come over and enjoy my garden if I have no way to grill?

So, remember my schmatics? I did a back of the envelope calculation of the number of 5.5" square stones I would need to line the plots if I placed them diagonally tip to tip, which involved a little pythagorean action (before I realized I had a tape measure, oof), and I was exactly right! I calculated that I would need 42, so I bought 50, and when I finished I had 8 left over. Not bad if I do say so myself.

I spent the entire day Sunday outside (got my first sunburn of the season!) and got about half of the yard finished. Here's pre-Eden:
Backyard

I started paving the first two plots:
Backyard Garden

Then I planted the marigolds. My mother told me too late that marigolds are a natural bug repellent, so I should plant them near the tomatoes. Hopefully their bug kryptonite will work from a few feet away:
Marigold Plot
Marigolds

Then I went over to the side plot. Let's play a game. It's called, How Much Trash Did Heather Find In The Dirt Today? This much:
Backyard Trash
Actually, that's only a small portion of it. At least 8 bricks, five or six large cement stones, a case worth of broken glass, and some metal thing that started rusting in 1909. I put it all in my trash can out front, and now DC Public Works won't pick it up, again.

After I fished the entire fallen building out of the side plot, I planted the strawberry plants (at the far end) and the purple and white nemesia. This photo is a little dark because the sun was already down.
Backyard side plot

Finally, I transplanted some of the fern things to the front yard and finished setting the stones.
Backyard

Yesterday I planted the snapdragons in the long plot on the right and the tomato starters in the plot by the shed. I'll post some pictures of those tomorrow, since it was completely dark when I finished last night.

It's starting to shape up! I've never planted anything in my entire life and suddenly my whole world revolves around getting this garden finished. But ain't it pretty?

3 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Alexandra said...

dude, i'm wicked impressed!

 
At 2:15 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Kelly said...

I'm impressed too and not a little jealous of your abilities and your yard. I'll have to live vicariously through you right now.

 
At 10:47 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger G. said...

It looks great! I'm so glad all your hard work has paid off!

And BTW I'm surprised that anyone who would throw *anything* at you while exclaiming, "Watch out, that one's covered in bugs!" would live to tell the tale. Items covered in bugs should, as a rule, not be thrown at people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares