Sunday, April 16, 2006

When Pollen Attacks

After an embarrassing false start, we had our first successful (and delicious!) bar-b-que of the season. On Friday night I discovered that one of my friends, who recently moved in two blocks away, has a car, so I had him take me on a midnight run to Home Depot to refill the propane. I bought a spare this time, so we can switch the tanks without any terrible layovers next time. We invited a few people over Saturday afternoon to help kill off the rest of that beer and all that leftover meat we had to freeze. J made some spectacular burgers (I had two) and all in all, it was a perfectly lovely Saturday afternoon/evening/night that made the summer feel so close we could touch it.

Of course, one of the reasons I wanted people over was so I could show off my garden.
Backyard, Day 3
Everyone stroked my ego just enough to keep me going for the next round. (Home Depot run, anyone?)

It gets better! This morning I went outside to read the paper and inspect the plants, and look what I found on the strawberry plant:
P4150004.JPG
Woot! Someone get the whipped cream, cause I'm making strawberry shortcake.

Also, the tomato plants are growing like weeds:
P4150006.JPG
I'm going to have to get some cages post haste.

The snapdragons have grown quite a bit, too, and I know the marigolds are taking to the dirt well because this one plant looked nearly dead when I put it in, and now look at it:
P4150008.JPG

The only thing that killed me yesterday was the damn pollen. About every twenty minutes I had to go inside and sneeze a hundred times. In fact, the allergies hit me so hard that I was sneezing and my eyes were watering through-out the night. It took me until 4am to realize that I was actually sick, too. Ugh. So, Sunday has involved a lot of laying in bed reading the paper and watching the food network. I got bored and went out to start weeding the front yard, but that is a project that will take weekends upon weekends. It's just a mess out there, especially compared to the backyard now. I got the gigantor dandelions out and left the rest for next weekend. I don't like working in the front during the week because the terrible middle school hoodlums come by and harass me. Like I need that shit from some 12 year old.

Oh, also, we have a rat! I discovered it one night when I walked out the front door and it skittered back into the ivy, which is apparently its home, because that happens a couple times a week now. But last night took the cake. We were all out in the backyard and this thing the size of a freaking cat ran like lightening from one side of the yard into our neighbors yard, right behind my roommate. Luckily, my guests weren't as freaked out as I was, and one of them regaled us with rat stories from her 10 years living in NYC. Good times.

3 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, April 16, 2006, Blogger G. said...

Be careful, the rat will steal the strawberries before you have a chance to pick them!

 
At 12:24 AM, April 17, 2006, Blogger adrian said...

if you could just get chase to herd the rats.

 
At 4:14 AM, April 18, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

I'm proud of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares