Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Zip Car Hates Me, Too

I tried to get a Zip Car card today, since my roommate and I decided that, between the two of us, we could easily use it once a month for grocery/home depot runs alone. So I started filling out the forms online and there's a check box that says this:

[ ] I've had this license for less than three years.

I check it and down falls a menu I have to fill out, asking me the State and Number of my previous license. Um, what? How the hell are you supposed to know the driver's license number of a card of which you no longer have possession? Is this information I should have kept somewhere?

I guarantee you the Ohio DMV is going to care not at all about this, and hang up on me half-way through "zip car card." Since I got my DC license last May, I'm wagering that my CA Bar application has my old information on it, which I have a copy of sitting in my files. Still...do you really need to have taken the god damn bar for the honor of renting a car at exorbanant rates?

10 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, April 18, 2006, Anonymous Ray said...

I recently moved from VA to MD and after switching all my stuff over I find that I'm supposed to let VA know I've moved the car so they stop taxing it but I need my old drivers license number to do this. No idea where I'm gonna find it. You'd think they'd tell you stuff like this before, oh well.

 
At 1:34 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

I don't know what a Zip Car card is! I've had the same driver's license number my entire life, but that's going to change very soon...

 
At 2:14 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger adrian said...

ray, it's your social # unless you opted to keep it private when you got the license.

 
At 9:51 AM, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Kriston said...

Zip Car's not exorbitant! Also, you could just lie.

 
At 10:20 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

roonie - Zip Cars are these cars/trucks/vans they park around the city (often near metro stops, etc) for us city folk to use. You pay a subscription fee and they send you a card which unlocks the cars (I think). You also pay an hourly fee when you rent the car.

kriston - $65 to rent a car for a day is totally ridiculous. of course, paying $8.95 to go to the grocery store for an hour, i can handle. also, they look up your driving record three years back, so they'd discover pretty quickly that i lied, and i'm afraid they'd just deny me the subscription.

 
At 10:36 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

p.s. if you were just making fun of my spelling, not cool buddy, not cool.

 
At 1:56 PM, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Kriston said...

I'm in no position to point out anybody's spelling failures, since mine have been caught on film. But yeah, the $9/hour is great, unless you're driving through hellish Virginia traffic to get to TJs, in which case you're probably better off paying the day rate.

 
At 4:53 PM, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cab it. less overhead.

 
At 4:55 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

So, as opposed to a cab, is it really a better deal? Or maybe just paying that one friend to use his/her car (I thought you mentioned there was one)? Any mention of subscription fees scares me.

 
At 5:57 PM, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Kriston said...

I think cabs are more expensive if you're doing something like grocery shopping. I remember thinking that the other day when I was sitting in a cab, but I don't remember what the rates are. But for Zipcar, the occasional driver fee is just $25 annually. That's not too bad.

Promise I'm not a paid Zipcar representative or anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares