Thursday, May 18, 2006

5 Continents...10 Countries...

And More Than 59 Thousand Miles!

Despite my TiVo's best efforts to deny me the Amazing Race this season, I managed to wake up from my nap in time to catch the season finale yesterday. I won't spoil the ending, since I know at least one person reading this is waiting to watch Hour 2 (the hour my tivo didn't eat) at my house later. Suffice it to say, my reaction wasn't nearly as passionate as last year's, but this season didn't feature former Survivor winners who must be beaten at all costs either.

Rescuing the Strawberry Dreams

In my first attempt to save the berries from that waterlogged nightmare that is fruit rot, I laid down some sand around the plants. The hope is that the water will still get to the plants (unlike with the plastic sheeting I was going to use at first), but the top level of the sand will dry quicker than the soil, so the berries won't sit in pools of mud for days at a time. Other ideas are appreciated.

Writer's.........................block!

Sometimes the perfect storm of projects at work, personal and/or professional drama, and plain ol' writer's block converge in such a way that I am left staring at a blank screen days and days after I intended to finish writing something. Finally, with the help of last night's basketball game and a slow morning, I submitted my Katzen review for DCist today, and I'm really glad I waited until after I turned it in to read the Post's review of the show. Kennicott does a great job of covering the show in general, but also broaching some issues I either didn't have the space to discuss or felt weren't necessarily relevant to the DCist type of review. I especially liked this line, "Parallel to the art of engagement has been a politics of disengagement..." Word.

Pawn to Knight Four

Speaking of professional drama (which was this week's pick), there is some effing DRA. MA. up in here this week. Obviously, I can't get too detailed with the ins and outs, but here's the sitch: My original placement at this firm was to assist a paralegal with his overflow. Job was going smoothly until he disappeared off the face of the earth for a month. We (meaning me, his boss, and all the attorneys whose cases he worked on) only knew that he wasn't dead or in the hospital, and that he was avoiding everyone and not returning any calls. The result of this easily could have been my termination. See, if he's not around to give me work...get it? Luckily one of the attorneys started calling me directly - they're in an active litigation, so life becomes difficult when the managing paralegal takes off with no notice or explanation.

To put it simply, the haze is clearing and the assembled puzzle pieces seem to indicate that this douchebag of a guy orchestrated the whole thing (including hiring me and slowly pushing most of this caseload onto me over the past few months) because he wanted off the case, but logistically, that just wasn't going to happen. Of course, everyone, including me, is much better off, since my relationship with the attorneys is much better than his and, despite being a temp, I'm now the managing paralegal on the case (which is, in fact, insanely massive). I like the work and the attorneys all trust me, while recognizing that I don't plan on (and advising me not to commit career suicide by) becoming a permanent paralegal here. The drama escalated this week because he's back after a month-long disappearing act. I haven't seen him yet, but we did have a terse email exchange wherein he assumed we were still friends, and I firmly told him his friendship, much like my dependence on him for my livelihood, no longer existed around here.

Ah, if only I could give you more of the salacious details, but I think my censoring filter is catching the rest.

Amazing races, berry murder, political activism, burning bridges, and total, utter professional suicide. What more could you want in a blog post?

2 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, May 18, 2006, Anonymous tom said...

Not much. Well, okay, maybe an irritating meme. Otherwise I think you hit all of the blogging touchstones in a single post.

And I enjoyed the review, btw.

 
At 12:36 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

Whoa. That's some serious in-house drama. I didn't realize people did that sort of stuff in real life! It sounds like a prime-time soap. No, juicier - more like a daytime soap!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares