Thursday, May 11, 2006

More from the Mailbag

And with it, more bar application difficulties. Sigh. I'll have to admit that this time it was actually my fault. Remember that big ass raise I got in February? Well, I got it because 1) I turned in my DC Bar application and 2) I switched temp agencies. Meaning, of course, I switched employers, information that was not reflected on the application I turned in the day before. I never thought to update it, so I got a letter from them a few days ago saying I had TEN DAYS to mail them the information, or else. Anyway, I sent it in today. On the flip side, this means they're checking the info on my application, and my friends have all told me they've received letters from the DC Bar, meaning they've also started in with my personal references. Maybe it'll be less than eight months before I hear the results! Sweet.

On Tuesday I received a poster roll in the mail with no return address. Weird. I thought, maybe they're blackmail pictures. I mean, I know they're out there somewhere, right? There was an identification number on the front that looked familiar...my student ID? My driver's license? I couldn't place it. I continued to ponder the possibilities until my roommate suggested, "Why don't you just open it?" Capital idea! So I did. Ta-da!

Welcome to the Bar

Wow, that's....exciting. I guess. Another piece of paper to shove under my bed. More importantly, check out my new Razr. I know! Now I'm even more of a yuppie than I already was. My old phone konked out last week and the Razr is the only phone Verizon sells that's even remotely not hideous, plus it was free, so. Call me.

14 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, May 11, 2006, Blogger ivehadafew said...

I don't get how DC figured that out?

 
At 8:29 PM, May 11, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:30 PM, May 11, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

cause they called the company i marked as my "current employer," who told the bar i didn't work there anymore. i assume.

 
At 4:19 AM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

I didn't realize that the bar sent you a diploma for passing! How odd.

I wish I had waited a few more months to get a Razr. I have a big fat clunky phone that, albeit free, is poop. It works just fine - fantastically, actually - but I would rather have a "look at me!" phone!

 
At 8:06 AM, May 12, 2006, Anonymous sandro said...

uh, yuppies are "upwardly-mobile." do you qualify?

 
At 9:08 AM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

roonie - sort of, it's actually a certificate from being sworn into the Cal supreme court, but i guess that's basically the same thing.

sandro - uh, passive-aggressive a-holes are....ah, it's too easy. i am upwardly-mobile in my ownership of phones!

 
At 9:42 AM, May 12, 2006, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Congrats!

Hey, how did you get a free Razr? My verizon contract is up, can I get one for renewing?

 
At 11:56 AM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Ninja - Yup, that's how I got mine. Actually, it was $150; I got $100 by re-upping my plan, and there was a $50 rebate. I think you should get the pink one; gray will clash with your ninja suit.

 
At 5:08 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Kelly said...

I think everyone had some sort of hoop for the DC Bar (you know other than the long-a** application and $700 application fee hoop). Mine was also job-related.

I had 10 days to tell them what I was doing last year between May and October. Um, studying for the Bar, moving, looking for work? If anything, you'd think June and July would be a gimme since, you know, I just graduated from law school and all. I just wrote on their form "5/05-10/05 - Unemployed." I haven't heard anything else so I'm assuming that sufficed.

 
At 3:07 PM, May 13, 2006, Anonymous hard.corr said...

so, you making like $50+ bucks an hour now? do you get health insurance with that or are you considered self-employed? if self-employed, you sould open a SEP IRA.

 
At 4:32 PM, May 13, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

hard.corr - it'd be awesome if you were my old civ pro prof; that's what we called him. i'm not making quite that much, but the little perks that come with this job make my pay a little better. i'm considered an employee of my temp agency (i get a W2 from them, etc), but i have no benefits, which, between health care and retirement funds, are the worst long-term problems with being a temp. oh, right, and the dead-endness of it might be problem in the long run, too, i suppose.

 
At 4:16 AM, May 14, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

You should see if your temp agency offers insurance of some sort. The ones I'm registered with do, at your election and a cut of your paycheck, of course.

I figured that cert was for getting sworn in. I should've corrected myself. But I guess I never realized you got anything.

 
At 4:41 PM, May 14, 2006, Anonymous hard.corr said...

well i think you should get the SEP then if you don't have any bennies. for every year you miss making a contribution, starting at or around your age, you lose something like $130K in your retirement account. compounding interest is a real marvel.

 
At 1:23 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

roonie and hard.corr - i should have been more specific; temp agencies usually offer certain benefits after 120 hours of work. of course, i've worked for five different agencies in the last nine months and have gotten tired of switching around. but since it looks like i might be here awhile, i'm going to ask my agency about it.

i don't think there are any retirement options though, so i'm going to have to check out some possibilities. thanks for the push; i've been ignoring this for too long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares