Thursday, May 04, 2006

My marigolds bring all the boys to the yard

After my weekend visitors left to catch their plane on Sunday, the roommates and I picked up a Zip Car and trekked off to my home away from home, the garden center at Home Depot. I can't believe they don't know me by name there yet. I keep expecting to walk in the flowery gates and have someone slide me a beer while some tacky theme song plays in the background.

My mission was three-fold: 1) Buy a flat of flowers for one plot, 2) Buy herbs and some veggies for the last plot and 3) Buy tomato cages. Lucky for me, I was wholly successful. While I was off hunting down cages, I asked the boys to go pick out a flower they liked for #1. They came back with a flat of begonias, which I'm not sure I ever would have picked out myself, but I actually love them. They're darker and add a real depth to the otherwise brightly colored garden:
Begonia

For the edible plot, I found lemon thyme, chives, basil, lavender (not so edible I suppose), a jalapeno plant, and two green pepper plants, all of which seem to be taking well to the soil so far:
Herb and veggie plot

Which gives us the final product...wait! Let's look back one more time:
In the beginning...

And now:
Finished!

With the leftover marigolds and dutch miller from Round 1 of planting, and the leftover begonias, I filled in a small strip that's next to our grill. It needed to be cultivated and filled with some top soil, but I was concerned that it would overflow onto the sidewalk because it wasn't edged on all sides, see:
Strip by the grill.

And I thought, "If I were some edging, say, a brick, where would I be?....UNDER THE DIRT OF COURSE!" So I took my trowel and hit gold about two inches under the surface. And by gold I mean:
Finally, some useful trash
For serious. Just enough to close off the strip. Finally, some useful trash. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, so I'll have to do that later.

Look what else I found:
I see seashells by the...I mean, buried in my backyard.
Seriously? Seashells? Now if I could just dig up all that buried treasure, I'd be made.

Strawberry update. Look at these flowers!
Strawberry blooms

Forget the flowers - look at this!
Strawberries!

Oh baby. I have to go get some Bisquick.

4 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Kelly said...

Oh my goodness! An actual strawberry. I'm so excited for you!

 
At 4:21 AM, May 09, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

"It's gonna make it after allllllll!"

 
At 12:07 AM, June 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, it's really your milkshake that brings all the boys to the yard. seriously. don't kid yourself.

 
At 12:19 AM, June 22, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

I never said "milkshake," I said "marigolds." And no, I'm not kidding myself, you haven't seen those bitches in real life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares