Friday, May 05, 2006

A Sneak Peek

I stopped by the old Fusebox space on 14th to see what was going on now that Irvine Contemporary has opened its doors. They did a soft opening today and will also be open tomorrow from 11am-8pm with Susan Jamison's and Robert Mellor's solo shows, held over from their old gallery. Heather Russell was there and kind enough to speak with me for a few minutes. She told me that since the new gallery was nearly ready, they wanted to try it out before the big opening on the 12th. Also, it gives Jamison and Mellor a little more exposure, even though they seem to be doing just fine as it is, with Jamison up in NYC doing some business and Mellor a semi-finalist for the 2006 Trawick Prize.

How about some pictures?

Irvine Contemporary

Irvine Contemporary
(click through for a couple more photos, though forgive my crappy point-and-shoot quality)

It doesn't look like too much has changed, but they're trying to make the gallery more public friendly, which I happen to enjoy, seeing as I got my start roaming the 14th Street galleries with not a clue as to what I was doing or seeing. (In fact, while I was there a couple poked their head in the door and asked, "By invite only?" These galleries are intimidating if you don't know what you're doing!) They've added comfy benches and a couple of chairs that look like they're tough to get out of.

Ju-Yeon Kim's show for their big opening looks to be pretty phenomenal. If you happen to stop by tomorrow, you should check out her extremely large canvas sitting in the back of the gallery; the show officially starts May 12th if you want to check it out for yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares