Sunday, May 07, 2006

Weekend Update

Wastin' Away Again In Margaritaville

Margarita

I try not to be too snobby about the establishments I frequent, since goodness knows I can rarely distinguish 'cool' from a hole in the ground. But I'll still say it: If you were one of the douchebags who traveled in from Virginia and waited in line - the one that went down the block - to get into Alero (Alero!) on U Street on Cinco de Mayo to enjoy the sardine-crammed bar, terrible service, screaming latin house music, and authentic americanized mexican fare, then I really hope...you enjoyed yourself immensely, because god knows you're the only kind of person who could have.

Don't Hate Me Because My Tomato Plants are Beautiful
They're bloomin'!
Tomato blossom
Sad news though. Check out this drain pipe on the side of my house, which siphons off water from my neighbor's roof (don't ask me why it goes back into the house):
Death to Nemesia
I noticed the hole before directly above my plants, but it's rained before and it didn't seem to hurt them. Unfortunately, the neighbors have been doing some repairs and must have dumped some kind of sludge down their drain. It absolutely slaughtered my purple nemesia, a lavender plant, and most likely the white nemesia next to it as well, which is on life support. Sigh.

The Made-For-TV-Movie to End All TV-Movies. AND THE WORLD.

Tony called me while I was out in the garden on Saturday. "Are you sitting down? Sit down. Seriously. I have news." What he told me next is the news I've been waiting my entire life and a half to hear: "They're making 10.5: Apocalypse!"

You think you know my love for made-for-tv disaster movies.

You have no idea:
10.5
Actually, I didn't buy this for myself. Tony and my roommate saw it in the bargain bin at Blockbuster and knew they had to buy it for me. Those dudes know me so well. Lest we forget, the first 10.5 ended with Ventura Island. We'll see if Apocalypse can live up to the original.

Twice the Vocabulary, Half the Grammar

I admit it, I liked The DaVinci Code. It's an easy read; a great airport book. Plus, they travel all around Europe! Who wouldn't want to read that? I've said before it's a Tom Clancy book for people who think they're more (semi) intellectual. My one problem with the book was, of course, that Dan Brown Hates Women. Not really, but I've read Angels and Demons as well, and he writes the extremely predictable female sidekick. Sure she's got some crazy post-graduate degrees and maybe comes up with one or two ideas on her own, but she's really only there to be unbelievably hot, prop up the male lead, and get herself into trouble so he can save her. My point is this: I saw a poster for the movie this weekend.
Da Vinci Poster
And I just wanted to barf. Look at her! It's bad enough that they're playing up the damsel in distress aspect, but shaggy Tom Hanks is supposed to be our Superman? Spare me. If I have to watch some faux-intellectual beauty prance around the screen for two hours, can't I at least get Hugh Jackman to be my hero? Some eye-candy is all I ask.

I'll Leave You Tonight With

Most people are still in the majority, while still fewer are in the minority.

Thank you, Norm McDonald, for the only funny thing you ever said.

2 Comments:

At 4:20 AM, May 09, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

(1) I love the people who go out to celebrate Cinco de Mayo in droves, and still have no idea that it's NOT Mexican Independence Day.

(2) Your tomato plants are really coming up! Can you salvage the lavender at all?

(3) I wasn't aware of your penchant for made-for-TV disaster movies...

(4) I agree 100% with your statements about DaVinci. Good airplane fodder, definitely want a stronger female lead, definitely should've cast a more believable male hero geek. DaVinci wasn't the best book of all time, but I'm glad I read it (once).

(5) GREAT GREAT QUOTE! I was kinda talking about how I'm still in the majority as far as the unmarried/no-love-of-my-life-in-sight thing on my latest post. And so that quote hit the spot, right there. Awesome.

 
At 5:41 AM, May 09, 2006, Blogger adrian said...

give me 5 days and you can crack at virginians all you want. i'll point and laugh and throw stones from across the river.

and i was waiting for you to tie in the da vinci with a disaster movie joke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares