Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Get a Room

Question for the [no one] who reads my blog after my three week hiatus. I keep thinking my trip to India is totally fubar, because I'm just not saving enough. However, I just noticed I can get a flight to New Dehli for $800, which is fan-effing-tastic.

My question is: How much do you think I'll need to spend a month in India? I need about two grand to pay my bills, and have almost that much in my savings. So, what? Another two grand for hostels, food, traveling? Will it be that much, or is India a little more than I thought? So the end-question is: Should I buy the flight, knowing I'll have enough by then (say, September)?? My roommate is a good man, but I don't know that he'd enjoy paying my bills for a month, you know?

Of course, I'd really like to buy this affordable sob, if I'm going abroad, so that's another near-grand. Ah, money. Who cares! I only make it to have a good time, right?

The Daily Show right now is doing the art review I wish I could, "See, I'm not gonna be all 'yellow,' I'm gonna put a green triangle right there bitch! That's another $40 million!"

8 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, June 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo, this white girl be CRAZY! I'm Indian- you think I PAY for anything over there? ever see that eddie murphy video about being white in America? that's what it's like for Indians in Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, etc... I'd be more concerned about the water than the cost.

 
At 6:52 PM, June 22, 2006, Anonymous ghostrabbit said...

india is hella cheap. seriously. dollars a day. you are going for months? you've given up on the lawyering thing, huh? can't blame you. you might need to spend up front on some serious anti-pooh medicine and perhaps some preventative shots. there is some serious bacteria over there and you ain't seen dirty yet. anyway, i'm not sure why you are so keen on blowing your entire savings though. at your ~$50/hr rate can't you save more than $2k? i would try to save a bit more before you go. also, you can get a new 12MP cannon for less than what amazon's offering that one for.

oh, consider business class on the way over. it seems like a luxury but that is a long f-n trip and you'll appreciate it.

 
At 9:35 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger CM said...

Agree -- you can live and travel very cheaply in India. I would buy the ticket and then worry about the cost. $2K will go a long way, and I think you'd do fine with about $500 less. If you're worried, scope out places to stay before you get there -- lodging will probably be your primary expense. (I'm assuming by "hostel" you're talking about a decent, clean place with electricity and running water and everything.)

 
At 9:45 AM, June 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, check out: twotimingthecosmosb.logspot.com

you won't believe what's there.

 
At 4:28 PM, June 24, 2006, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

When you run out of money, you'll be ready to leave India, believe me. It's an amazing experience. I was there in 1989. Sometimes I think I'll go back some day, other days I think not. It's very intense. Why do you want to go?

 
At 2:21 AM, June 25, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

Who are these commenters?

 
At 11:26 PM, June 25, 2006, Blogger Robert said...

Also, if you visit (like I commented on your next post) I may know a way, (do you don’t have to take your clothes off, or “deliver a package”) you can hit up a grand and buy your camera for your trip!

 
At 11:44 PM, June 25, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

ghostrabbit - who said i'm giving up on lawyering? also $50/hr is a little generous. and i probably misspoke, $2k is my "extra" savings i'd like to use for a trip, it's not my entire savings. thanks for the other advice.

cm - thanks for the tips, i'll definitely be looking into some info on lodging.

reya - i've always wanted to go, and it very much seems like the place you need more than a week or two to experience fully. since i'm still temping, am somewhat young and w/o family or people who otherwise need me to be around, and will likely take a pay cut when i get a "real" job, it seemed like a good time to just do it.

roonie - i know some of my friends are posting anonymously, though i don't think i know all of them.

robert - dude.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares