Sunday, June 25, 2006

I sing the songs...

So, my mother bought the Dixie Chicks' new album just, you know, to buy it. It matches her "Bring Them Back / Out Of Iraq" bumper sticker (that's right next to "My Daughter Is In The National Guard"). I realize my mom isn't the hippest when it comes to music (it's genetic), but the following conversations baffled me:

When I saw the cd on the shelf:
Me: "Did you buy Neil Young's new album, too, then?"
Mom: "Neil Young?"
Me: "Yeah, he has a new album of anti-war songs."
Mom: "Let's buy it tomorrow!"

Later that night:
Mom: "What album was that again, Phil Collins?"
Me: "Phil Collins?!
Mom: "What?? I forgot, who was it?"
Me: "Neil Young, Mom. Neil Young, you know, the foremost rocker of your generation?"
Mom: "...I know who he is."

The next day, in the music section at Target:
Mom: "Okay...who are we buying?"
Me: "Mom, you are dead to me."

**

Tonight some new cop drama came on that centered on a bunch of stolen Foo Fighters tickets. Since my mother is a West Wing fan, I thought maybe she had heard of them before (remember they were on the election episode this last season).

Me: "So, you probably don't care about this, but you know the lead singer of the Foo Fighters was the drummer for Nirvana?"
Mom: "Oh really, what happened?"
Me: "...."

4 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, June 25, 2006, Anonymous jake said...

Not being a huge dixie chicks fan myself I was suspect, but there's a song on the album called Lubbock, or Leave it, that describes Lubbock, TX perfectly. Natalie Maines and I, both, grew up in Lubbock, and if you have a chance, take a listen or google the lyrics to see what it was like...

 
At 2:51 AM, June 26, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

You know, Jake, I've been saying forever - why aren't there more songs about Lubbock, Texas? Finally, someone has answered the call... ;)

 
At 1:09 AM, June 27, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

HA! Hilarious. You're mom's a funny one.

 
At 12:48 AM, June 28, 2006, Blogger adrian said...

My mom's a Shubert fan -- but we were in the car and she had some mild curiosity regarding "that song about the papasan chair" that had just played on the radio.

Ah, the far reaching grasp of K-fed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares