Thursday, July 06, 2006

And next: THE WORLD!

I've tried, I've tried to calm down, but it just ain't happening. You know why? Do you know why I'm so excited??

I BOUGHT MY TICKET TO INDIA!

As my good friend Adrian would put it, "this is like awesome star debris coming together." So yes, as you may know, I originally intended to go in September. When I emailed a couple of my friends who've been to India with some questions, one of them replied and I realized that yes, oh YES I would be moving my plans to December. Why?

Chai is getting married! In December! In India!!

You'll have to forgive me, much like the past few hours, this post will be filled with lots of yelling and freaking out. The good kind. So I started thinking about December, and pretty soon my friends who've traveled to India started telling me, "Listen, if you're going, you need to buy your ticket like, yesterday." I started looking with fervor, though I was still a little nervous about the whole idea. I really wanted to do it, but in the back of my head I still thought it would end up never happening.

Today, I called some useless travel agents and broken phone lines and saw some horrendously expensive flights on Expedia and Travelocity. And spent most of the day emailing back and forth with Chai and my real-life-friend-and-blog-lurker Arish (Hi Arish!), both of whom were a great help.

Then Chai comes out with icing. It was just the other day that I was feeling nostalgic for the old blog circle we had last summer studying for the bar. Yeah, studying was awful, but I met a phenomenal group of people and we blogged and quickly became friends and circled the wagons when we needed and they were, studying aside, good times. (A few disappeared after we got our results - JM, I hope you're alive out there!) So while I was sitting in my office, still jittery about booking my flight, Chai says, "I'm pretty sure Roonie and Maisnon are coming!" For serious?! We're getting the old barzam (yeah, I said it) group back together? In India?? For your wedding??? This is getting downright surreal.

I feel bad for missing the DCist happy hour today, but this is why: I came straight home and got on IM with Chai and Roonie, found the perfect flight, and while they hooted and hollered - I bought it! I leave Dulles on December 20, fly to Heathrow, and land in Bangalore very early on December 22. Chai and her mother are picking me up from the airport and I'm probably going to stay with the (blogger) girls and a few of Chai's fiance's friends in a furnished house her grandmother owns near the wedding site.

And here's where Chai starts to get me really excited: She's going to take us sari shopping! We'll get them professionally fitted and get all henna-d up for the festivities, which start the 25th and culminate with the wedding on the 27th. Dancing and music and food and w00t!

!!

Then on the 28th, I'll go with Chai's group to spend New Year's Eve on the beaches of Goa. I can Hardly. Stand. It. Goa had a permanent place on my list way back when India was just a pipe-dream in my little imagination. And now I get to usher in the New Year there, on the other side of the world? Someone pinch me.

No, don't!

After the New Year, I'll take off on my own, and that part is still up in the air. I'll likely visit some touristy sites like the Taj Mahal, etc, but I'm going to have to do some serious research. Ask my mother, I know everything about a place before I travel there. I think it's just my way of traveling before I actually get to travel. Mom joked that I was her private tour guide in Greece, since I was attached to my giant guide book and gave her a 1000 year history lesson on every artifact we saw, knew exactly what neighborhood we were in, where all the good restaurants were, and had practically memorized a map of southern Greece weeks before we got on a plane. (It's actually safe to say that I know many international cities ten times better than I know the one I live in.) I'm buying a big book on India tomorrow!!

Friends tell me domestic flights are cheap, so that will likely be my primary mode of transportation. In South America it was the only way to travel because it was so cheap and it was usually just too far to take the train, so I'm hoping it will work the same in India.

So many more details to talk about, but I'll stop now. I still have things to edit and write and, you know, many miles before I sleep and all that. Not that I'll sleep!

16 Comments:

At 1:17 AM, July 07, 2006, Anonymous Sylvie said...

Holy Motherfucker! I am so jealous! And here I was getting all excited for our trip to a local beach. We must meet up for lunch so you can tell me all about it.

 
At 7:02 AM, July 07, 2006, Blogger CM said...

That's going to be SO MUCH FUN. So excited for you! Can I come?

 
At 8:06 AM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Chai said...

OMG!!!! I'm STILL excited. AHHHHHH!!!!

FYI, typo on the word "bangalore." I know you know how to spell it, just the excitement effed it up. :) You don't want the techies in B'lore to kill you for spelling the word wrong. HAHA, I'm kidding.

Okay, I'm linking away!

 
At 1:05 PM, July 07, 2006, Anonymous bluegrasshole said...

INDIA!? I fully expect you to friggin crash Flickr with all the photos you upload upon your return. Must...live...vicariously....

 
At 1:31 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Sylvie - I'm excited for the beach, too! I'll call you this weekend.

CM - Dude, I'll be there for a month, so you're more than welcome to come hang out with me for awhile!

Chai - w00t! Yeah, goodness knows I typed Bangalore into enough websites to know how to spell it, but after saying it out loud a thousand times yesterday, it slowly evolved to "Bangladore" in my mouth...I have no idea why. It should be fixed now. w00t!

bluegrasshole - My thoughts exactly!! I'm going to have to stop at an internet cafe every other day to dump my memory cards onto Flickr and the blog!

 
At 2:09 PM, July 07, 2006, Anonymous Roonie said...

I am hyperventilating.

I woke up early this morning just to look around for flights.

I am going to pee my pants before I actually buy the ticket, damnit.

But I am working on it. It is always slow-going with me, but damnit, it's gonna happen!

I-N-D-I-A!

 
At 7:02 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Kelly said...

Sounds AMAZING! There will be pictures posted, yes?

 
At 9:31 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger shell said...

Wow...I was surprised (but then I've been in the dark for a month). Have a great time in India! :)

 
At 2:16 PM, July 08, 2006, Anonymous deadbunnysrottingcarcass said...

i see how it is.

 
At 2:48 PM, July 08, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Yeah, pretty much. People who leave rude, assumptive comments using handles about my poor, deceased bunny, get deleted. I don't think it's a shocking rule.

 
At 2:54 PM, July 08, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

roonie - we'll get you there!

kelly - of course!

 
At 6:08 PM, July 08, 2006, Anonymous deadbunnysrottingcarcass said...

uh. i didn't know you had a bunny. it's a joke from donnie darko. sorry for the misunderstanding. i was just interested in the cost of travel to india? coach class?

 
At 6:29 PM, July 08, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

ah, well now we're talking civilly. it was mostly the derogatory question that did it.

travel to india is actually *very* expensive if you go in the tourist season, which includes december. i've been saving for many months now for this trip and pretty much spent all of it on the flight. i figure i'll have enough saved by december to be there for a month, since everyone is telling me i'll hardly spend a dime once i'm there (that's one of the reasons i chose it - i certainly couldn't go to japan or australia for a month). at the same time, while i'm still temping, i'll still be able to put hefty sums towards my massive law school loans, and my credit cards (that is, until i get a new job and take a huge pay decrease).

it would have cost me half as much to fly to india in september, but then i wouldn't be able to celebrate with chai - and i think the week and a half of wedding/new year's festivities i described are a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and thus, worth the extra cost.

i am not, nor have i ever been (or will be) rich, as you assumed (daddy doesn't pay a cent of my bills, or my tuition, for that matter), but it's worth it to me to forgo buying clothes or eating out (or whatever people do, buy massive tv's, etc) to save up for traveling.

 
At 6:58 PM, July 08, 2006, Blogger cg-c said...

Oh, I'm drooling with envy! I've been wanting to go forever, too! You will have to keep us all apprised of your plans as they develop...you know, so I can pretend I'm going.

 
At 11:52 PM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Erin said...

hey, i'm late to this post. you don't know me, but i found your blog through friends of friends of links... you know how it is. anyway, i went to a friend's wedding in india last december around the exact same time as you're going this year, and you can see photos we took here and here if you're interested. we stayed in kolkata and in the jungles nearby the entire time.

it's really cool, just completely different than anything i've ever done before... i would totally do it again if i ever get the chance. you will love it!

 
At 6:28 PM, July 19, 2006, Anonymous kirk diogu said...

hey are you worried now b/c of the bombings? especially since the islamists over there have said (and shown) they will specifically target civilians and westerners? crazy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares