Monday, July 10, 2006

The Garden Delivers

It's true! We've been using the herbs for awhile,
Prep time
but yesterday I did a mini-harvest out back and supplemented a little last-minute bbq we threw. The grilled potato slices are going over like mad; it's becoming our staple bbq dish, that's for sure. A few minutes in the microwave, slathered in olive oil, fresh dill, fresh chives, and salt, and a few minutes on the grill so they're crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Tasty.

BBQ Preparation

Yesterday brought, however, the blow-me-away dish that I'm sure to start making every weekend and bringing in a giant tupperware bowl anytime I'm invited anywhere: fresh pico de gallo. Tomatoes and jalapenos from the yard, sufficiently diced and added to a variety of other ingredients yielded some of the tastiest - and HOT - pico de gallo I've had in a long time. Even Christopher liked it, and he hates tomatoes. We used it as an app with tortilla chips and then put it on our burgers for a little southwest edge. I should've bought an avocado.

I learned an important lesson during yesterday's grilling session: For the love of all that is holy, USE GLOVES when slicing jalapenos. I wondered if this would be an issue and consulted my roommates, who waffled long enough for me to consider myself Enough Of A Man to handle a few jalapenos bare-handed. I sliced off the stem and took a whiff, just to see if it burned my nostril hairs off, but actually they smelled just like green bell peppers. I was, in fact, concerned they wouldn't be hot enough in the dish.

I sliced and diced away, feeling no pain, until about a half an hour later. Suddenly it felt like someone was shoving lit matches underneath my fingernails - and it stayed that way until about 10am this morning. Ugh. I even put my hand in a glass of milk last night, which felt nice while I was doing it, but didn't put out the fire. Also, the pico de gallo was definitely spicy enough, though it was hit or miss because I'm not sure they were diced small enough. Time to buy a Cuisinart.

More garden pictures? Sure.
The storms completely stomped the marigolds and snapdragons, but a few are holding strong:
Marigolds
Snapdragons

The begonias, on the other hand, ate it up:
Begonias

The tomato plants are looking less healthy, but still producing:
Tomatoes

Jalapenos coming out my ears:
Jalapenos

The first green peppers should be arriving soon:
Green bell peppers

4 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Legal Quandary said...

I learned the bare hands jalepeno lesson the hard way last year. Because I like making my own salsa, I bought some of those plastic food handler gloves. Unfortunately, the only place I found them was Costco, so I have, like, 6 million of them. But now I use them anytime I have something I'd just rather not touch with my bare hands.

 
At 11:42 PM, July 10, 2006, Anonymous Sylvie said...

The pico de gallo was fabulous (as I close my eyes, feeling pangs of homesickenss.) I was kind of sorry I didn't try it with my burger. We will just have to do it again. Everything was great; the potatoes, the brownies, and the grilled peaches. Must quit my job to have more dinners at your place. Thanks again. And Matt thanks you too!

 
At 1:28 AM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

Thanks for that jalapeno slicing tip (about wearing gloves). I would've never thought that they'd burn the undersides of your nailbeds...but it makes total sense.

I want to try to concoct some of my own pico de gallo! You've inspired me!

 
At 8:55 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

LQ - I'm totally buying gloves for next time.

Sylvie - We were happy to have you both! And don't worry, there will be mucho pico de gallo in the future.

Roonie - I can email you the recipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares