Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Good. I really needed a new internet obsession.

I knew, I just knew that once I started helping put up Photo of the Day over at DCist, I'd end up searching through Flickr photos all the time, whether or not I needed one for the site. I've used Flickr for almost a year now, and even bought a Pro account because I uploaded so much, but I've sort of avoided using it for any kind of serious photo work. I never really browsed through other photos or joined all these crazy groups popping up, but now I'm done-for. First, I just searched through the 'dcist' tagged photos, then random people started adding me as a contact after I'd use their photo, so I started browsing their photos and it became a link-bonaza to other people and other groups of fantastic photos. I gotta say, there are some damn fine photographers using Flickr.

Finally last night I went crazy. I signed up for about thirty 'groups' like "All Things Nature" and "Ventura County." The irony being that I use Flickr almost strictly for crappy images to use on my blog. The thought of someone seeing my name on the member list for "Landscapes" and going through my photostream to find shitty pictures of ice cream in my freezer and poorly focused shots of my marigolds kind of cracks me up. I do have a few nice photos that I submitted to groups last night, and I have a feeling that this is going to make me go out there and start really using my camera again. I've really not taken advantage of the fact that I have a whole yard full of plants to practice on, and I was thinking I'm definitly going to take practicing photography into consideration when I put together the garden next year.

Yikes, I think lightning just struck my front yard. Satellite's down, DSL just went down (saving in draft, check). Someone's telling me to go read a book.

P.S. I planned on doing some posts with them, but for now, my California photos are here, and some photos from the Smithsonian opening (though many of these are really bad) are here.

4 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, July 04, 2006, Blogger adrian said...

This rain is fantastic, but that rainbow is even better.

 
At 3:43 AM, July 05, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

I use Flickr for crap too - or so I thought. When my Flickr Pro account expired, I realized that I actually use them for photos that kinda matter.

I need to reinstate my Pro account.

In the meantime, I will pick through everyone else's and stay up another few hours ;)

 
At 1:34 AM, July 07, 2006, Anonymous Sylvie said...

My favorite Cali pic is the burrito...I don't care what people say about how bad refried beans are for you...its good for your soul.

 
At 2:03 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

I can't leave Cali without a Kimo's burrito. My family is good friends with the owners there, and they start making it as soon as I walk in the door!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares