Thursday, July 13, 2006

Rain is the New Singles Bar

As I was walking home from work down Rhode Island Avenue, approaching 17th Street, buckets of water suddenly started to pour from the sky. Those of us with umbrellas quickly whipped them out.

I noticed two twenty-something girls walking under one umbrella down 17th, crossing Rhode Island in front of me. Or rather, I noticed the man, sans umbrella, skulking about fifteen paces behind them, staring at them and clearly thinking hard about something. After a beat, he jogged up and ducked underneath their umbrella.

For a second I thought he must know them, and was only calculating the number of wuss points he was about to add up by being afraid of a little rain. The girls, however, looked dismayed, especially as he held out his hand and with a coy smile said, "Hi, I'm Robert. It just looked so nice and dry over here."

8 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, July 13, 2006, Anonymous Sylvie said...

Thats cute. At least he has some balls.

 
At 11:44 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

That's a strong move. How did the ladies react after his introduction?

 
At 1:10 PM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Ah, unfortunately, I didn't quite see. They'd already walked pretty far away and I was starting to cross the street, though I'm kind of dying to know myself.

 
At 1:30 PM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Living in Dupont said...

Well, a new way of making new friends I suppose, and he didn't seem smarmy about it, so that's good.

Gutsy move, too.

 
At 2:09 PM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Alejandra said...

Definitely gutsy...I think I probably would have laughed and not gotten creeped out. But like most things it really depends on how cute he is...

 
At 5:36 PM, July 14, 2006, Anonymous Roonie said...

Oh my goodness. I think that's awesome. Someone needs to get Robert's number for me. I like him already.

 
At 6:03 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Dennis! said...

Once, it pouring out and I was walking home under my nice big umbrella when I noticed a young woman drenched in the downpour. I offered to share my umbrella and ended up walking her to Connecticut Avenue for purposes of getting her into a cab. Someone called her, and she at some point described how she was "under some random guy's umbrella."

Mind you, seeing as I'm gay, I totally wasn't hitting on her at all.

I saw her into a cab... and never got a thank you. Ah well.

 
At 12:00 PM, July 21, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

Snobby beeeeeeyotch. I probably would've fallen over if someone offered to share their umbrella with me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares