Friday, August 18, 2006

Changing it up a little

What a long week! It's still not over, but I'm taking a much-needed breather. Though I'm of the mind that Work is not blog fodder, I'll bend the rules a little for a second. The case I've been managing went into serious downtime while waiting for a judges' ruling, so I had to scramble to find work for awhile there. For most people running out of work is great, but for me, no billable hours means no paycheck.

I yelled out and my echo came back in the form of a ginormous case that might be the example in the acronym dictionary for FUBAR. The managing paralegal is taking a four month leave, so he asked if I would take over. It's good in a way, because I get to meet more people in the firm (exposure), get lots of overtime hours, and have been learning many new things. On the other hand, did I mention the hours? And the fubar part? Right. I'm actually managing other people here, including permanent employees, and hiring my own temps...so all that is a little amusing to me.

At least I have a lovely weekend ahead of me. I'm going to try to get out of here in time to catch a gallery show, then a late dinner at Vidalia for Restaurant Week, including some catching up with the girls. Although I'm as totally sucked into the hilarity that is the Snakes on a Plane hype, I'm afraid that viewing will have to wait until next weekend, you know, when the jokes have totally been beaten into the ground and are screaming for mercy. Still. It has to been seen.

Tomorrow I'm going to take my own advice and go with the roommates out to the Udvar-Hazy Center in Dulles, which is the branch of the Air and Space Museum that has hangars of wicked aircrafts, including the mothereffing test space shuttle. And we're going to totally buck the movie bandwagon trend by going to see Superman Returns at the IMAX. We loved it, so all you haters can eat it.

I'll leave you with some unintentional irony (from Adrian).

5 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, August 18, 2006, Anonymous SandraO said...

that last link was posted in your commments months back. anyway, are you going to turn this temp thing into a fulltime $100k+, bigfirm permanent job? i think you should just ask your boss at the firm for a fulltime job. at some point, and i mean this sincerely, it's gonna look bad that you've been temping so long. you're gonna end up getting passed by the class of 2006 when they get their bar results. hope your project remains fun

 
At 6:24 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Oy. As I've oft noted, Big Firms rarely to never hire contract attorneys on full time. As to your second point, I know you mean well, but christ, I know. Nonprofit jobs still won't pay my bills though, much less my credit card/school debt, much less allow me to save anything. I've applied to some government jobs, but they can take, quite literally, close to a year to get back to you. I've also weighed the disadvantages of "how temping looks" with the reality that I manage two enormous litigations, supervise people, get experience in two major areas of law, and get in the good graces of a number of big shot attorneys.

So, my soul may be slowly dying, but that just comes with being an attorney, right?

 
At 7:08 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger T said...

I temped for a while (2 years-ish), before becoming a full-time associate again. The most important this is that you have to keep looking for something that has more upside. I was at a major litigation firm, doing interesting stuff, and interacting with attorneys that I now see in the news, but it was never going to happen there. Smaller departments, smaller offices of big firms and smaller firms are all much more willing to take a chance on someone's experience and tenacity - rather than just comparing GPA's and the name of the firm that has the applicant currently locked in the library doing research.

When I left huge litigation firm, I ended up in a small department where even as a contract attorney, I was handling my own cases independently. Further, I was introduced to clients as an associate, and billed out as an associate. So it was easier to make the move to being a real associate.

Good luck.

 
At 3:54 PM, August 19, 2006, Anonymous morpheus said...

if today was your last day on earth, are you doing what you want to be doing? if no, get moving. stop making excuses.

 
At 2:15 AM, August 21, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

Dude, I definitely broke the rules about not posting about work last week, too! Sometimes, you really just want to let it out. And then, of course, pull it back in and hope you don't get fired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares