Thursday, August 24, 2006

Now Legal in Two States*

Just when I thought this day was completely ruined by the loss of our dear Pluto, I came home and found this in the mail:

Esquire x 2

That's right, folks, I'm now licensed to practice law in two states one state and one District of Motherfucking Columbia bitches!

I was warned the waiver process took eight-nine months, and was figuring on even longer due to the fact I changed employers the day, literally, that I turned in my waiver application (without, obviously, this information). They contacted me two months later and asked for my updated employer info, so really I was expecting notice around Thanksgiving time. Five sweet months later, I'm an Esquire times two. (That's how it works, right? "Heather G, Esq. Esq."?)

Of course, I have no idea what this really means for me, except that I get to pay two bar fees every year and attend (and pay for) an obnoxious number of CLE classes for two states*. I already got my pay raise when I turned in my app (not that I won't ask for another one), so...yay?

*The District of Columbia, it turns out, is not actually a state. Yet.

5 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, August 24, 2006, Blogger bettyjoan said...

Good news--I don't think DC has any CLE requirements (other than the ethics class they require within X months of being admitted)! Glad to hear the process was quicker than you expected--I turned in my waiver application last week, so hopefully before this time next year, I'll be a DC lawyer, too!

 
At 9:12 AM, August 25, 2006, Blogger Scenic Artisan said...

congratulations!

 
At 1:02 PM, August 25, 2006, Blogger Kelly said...

Congrats! I wonder when mine will come through - it's been almost 7 months...

 
At 10:00 AM, August 26, 2006, Anonymous Sandoz 25 said...

you're the most accomplished temp on the planet!

 
At 10:21 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

Congratulations!

I still have yet to be licensed in one state - ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares