Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Rats on a Motherfucking Staircase

Last night Christopher set the rat trap and the mouse trap he got at the hardware store. I stopped drinking water at 10:30pm, so I wouldn't have to get up in the middle of the night (I know, I've contributed heavily to the Shock and Awe campaign here).

This morning I found a note on the kitchen table which said, in part, that the rat was injured but not dead, that I should definitely wear shoes at all times, and that C was calling the landlord ASAP. When I got to work, Christopher and I had the following email exchange.

-----Original Message-----
From: Heather
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 10:34 AM
To: Christopher
Subject:

So, do tell. Do we have an amputee rat now?

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 10:41 AM
To: Heather
Subject: RE:

I don't know that we cleanly severed a limb or anything, but we definitely injured the bugger. Joe saw it on the stairs this morning when he walked out of my room. He said it hobbled away slowly. Unfortunately, he was so freaked that he came back into the bedroom and closed the door instead of following it. In the kitchen, the trap was lying face down on the floor and there was blood on the floor and counter.

Joe and I searched for the rat for about 20 minutes, but couldn't find him. I don't know if he finally decided to flee the house and just hide somewhere. In either case, I locked Chase in my room so he wouldn’t get bitten. I called [the landlord], and she called back and left me a message to call this exterminator.

-----Original Message-----
From: Heather
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 10:42 AM
To: Christopher
Subject: RE:

HE SAW IT ON THE STAIRS???
So, yeah. He called the exterminator but the earliest appointment we could get is tomorrow afternoon. We're going to set the traps again tonight, and also rig this, which Kriston tipped us to in the comments from the last post, in case the rat is too smart to fall for the trap again. Even if we catch him, though, we're not canceling the appointment. Sick.

8 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, August 09, 2006, Anonymous Roonie said...

Just borrow someone's cat! I know rats are gross, but traps are inhumane!

It's the vegetarian in me. I'm apologize for offending the normal people who think rats are vermin. I happen not to subscribe to that theory (although I am afraid of them).

 
At 1:44 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Wait...traps are inhumane, so you want me to get a cat to tear its throat out?

We're down with humane, but we want it out of the house as QUICKLY as possible, so traps/exterminators are the only way to go. Even if we do that tube-over-the-counter thing...it's not like we'd let it go in the street, you know? Also, I don't think Chase would take kindly to a cat in the house...though he sure as hell doesn't seem to mind the rat. I told you he was the Devil.

 
At 2:41 PM, August 09, 2006, Anonymous gnawing betty said...

if the rat's been upstairs you have a fairly serious problem. the little guy is obviously not afraid of your house. it also mean that his scent is now throughout your house, so if there are more rats they too will proceed upstairs. you need to mop everywhere, especially along baseboards and walls. if you have a basement, i would check that out and make sure its clean and without clutter. look for droppings, and seal and holes in the walls or where pipes enter the house. not to worry you, but there's no such thing as having only 1 rat. sorry, take precautions. p.s. good idea to keep the dog away; rats carry rabies.

 
At 7:19 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

It's highly unlikely the rat has been upstairs, but I'll spare you the long explanation why that is. It looks like he was just looking for a place to nurse his injury this time (and he was at the bottom of the stairs). I'm not sure I buy that there's no such thing as having one rat, but the exterminator will take care of that at any rate. And yes, of course, a total house scrubbing is going on as I type.

 
At 2:39 AM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

I was just suggesting that the cat would chase the rat out. That's what my cat does, anyway.

 
At 1:13 PM, August 10, 2006, Anonymous Kirk Diogu said...

unfortunately, betty's right. norweigans live in packs. if many haven't come into your house, they probably are in the walls or nearby. rats are not pretty. good luck.

 
At 3:31 PM, August 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your title should be "motherfucking rats on a staircase." not the other way around.

 
At 3:41 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

roonie - ah. well C got him out last night, which i'll post about soon.

for all you "rat pack" folks, it's highly likely that the rat wandered in by himself, but i can't really explain why that is unless i give you a detailed layout of my neighborhood, which i'm not going to do. also, the exterminator today said we didn't have more. but i do appreciate the (terrifying) advice.

anon - i take it you haven't bought your presale tickets for tomorrow's exciting release.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares