Monday, August 21, 2006

Summer Lessons

Yesterday, as Joe, Christopher and I were grilling out on a lazy Sunday (after I spent four hours at work, ugh), I realized that this summer is almost everything I was hoping it would be. Last summer I spent ten hours a day in bar review classes, making and reviewing (and reviewing and reviewing) flashcards, and generally mourning my quickly passing youth.

When we moved in this house, the first thing I did was go to Home Depot and buy a grill, even though summer was waning and, too soon, it was covered in snow. When spring bloomed I got my garden on and furnished the boys with grilling utensils, because I was Determined to spend the season outside, getting my natural highlights back, and eating delicious piles of cooked meats. As the end of August approaches, I say we've achieved success. In fact, at this very moment I am stuffed with a burger that was perfectly grilled in bbq sauce, covered in homemade pico de gallo and homemade guacamole. Mmmmm.

On our way home from work Christopher and I briefly discussed throwing a party, since it's been quite awhile, but we agreed we've been enjoying our semi-weekly bar-b-que gatherings much better than any kegger we could throw. I've actually become better friends in the past three months with people I've known all throughout law school.

Though, seriously, it's all about the food. My garden obsession, like the summer humidity, has started to grow old. If I had a spigot in the backyard, I'd probably still be gushing about my flowers on the blog all the time, but these days, just the thought of dragging that damn water pail inside the kitchen 7, 8, 9 times to refill it keeps me from even starting. Also, my tomato plants took an ugly turn mid-July. I think it was because I hadn't pruned them properly, and the energy it took the plant to feed its grossly extended limbs and its gaggle of baby tomatoes was too much for the plants to produce. They started to die from all corners so I took the clippers to them. With only their bare trunks left, they looked awfully pathetic and to my dismay, refused to recover. I thought they were goners until I noticed this week that they've begun to creep back to life. I doubt I'll get any more fruit from them, but frankly, I'm happy with what they've given me so far:

Bruschetta
Fresh Tomato Sauce

My jalapeno plant won't quit, but during the rat-escapades last week I was afraid to go out back, and it looks like he was dining in with the peppers for awhile. Yuck. I should take a photo of my basil bush, because it's a Big. Freaking. Bush. I bought ingredients and plan to make a huge batch of pesto to freeze for winter. It's true, I'm turning into my mother. Any other good ideas about what I can make with basil that will keep?

Oh, we also got a new roommate:
Praying Mantis

He's very polite and keeps to the begonias. Whenever I water them he pops up and hangs out on top, watching me with his beady little eyes, moving his alien head to watch me move around the garden, and, of course, praying.

4 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, August 22, 2006, Anonymous Sandrino said...

7-9 pails of water on that small garden. think of all of the water you are wasting. stop exploiting the earth for your personal whimsy.

 
At 12:56 PM, August 22, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Silly troll. Don't you know my personal whimsy comes before all else?

 
At 1:03 PM, August 22, 2006, Blogger Kelly said...

Oh I love praying mantises (praying manti? mantii?)

 
At 10:25 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

Praying mantises (mantices? mantii? what is the right word to pluralize it?) are good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares