Thursday, October 05, 2006

Hell Yes.

Me and Tim Gunn

Update: If you'd like to hear a little more about it.

I've never actually put a photo of myself on the blog, but now seems like a good time to start, doncha think?? I went to see Tim Gunn at the Corcoran tonight, and he's so charming and self-depricating and handsome and funny. Smitten! I'm going to do a write-up for dcist, so I'll save the bulk of it for that. But I'll tell you how I got the photo.

If you check out the rest of my Flickr set, you'll notice they're really, really bad. I only had my point and shoot and it just wasn't doing what I needed it to in the dark auditorium, so afterwards I went and joined the people getting autographs. While everyone else was standing down with him in front of the stage and jonesing for a spot near him, I just stepped up on the stage so I could get some shots, hopefully getting one I could use in the post tomorrow. There was a pause and I was like, "What am I doing, get in there!" So I stepped up and asked if I could get a photo, handing my camera to his agent who was taking photos.

But she wouldn't take it! She apologized but said they had to go (he was doing another lecture afterwards) but I said, "Wait, just one more?" I mean, he was standing right at my shoulder and looked apologetic at me as his agent started tugging his elbow, as he said, "I'm sorry, I go where she tells me." So I said, "Uh, can I just..." and held my camera out in drunk-photo mode, and he happily smiled over my shoulder for me. So nice! He could have totally pushed me aside, and I understand they have to cut it off at some point, but I'm happy he indulged me for a second.

I wish I'd read the Gothamist post earlier, where the editor met him and got her photo taken, because in the post she says she told him who she was, and he said, "I read Gothamist!" So I wonder if he would have recognized DCist as enthusiastically if I'd mentioned it. Anyway, I reveled in my giddiness for the rest of the evening.

11 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, October 05, 2006, Anonymous Sylvie said...

Green with Envy.

 
At 11:31 PM, October 05, 2006, Anonymous eve said...

SOOOOOOO jealous!

 
At 11:39 PM, October 05, 2006, Blogger maisnon said...

Dude, so totally cool! Now,I know *two* people who have shared airspace with him!

I feel, somehow, as if I'm getting closer.

 
At 1:33 AM, October 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't look like what I'd pictured!

 
At 7:28 AM, October 06, 2006, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Tim Gunn? I didn't know you liked country music.

 
At 10:23 AM, October 06, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

maisnon - your friend's commentary is hilarious. i totally wouldn't wash my neck either if nick touched it, ha.

anon - these arms-length photos rarely come out very well, so do keep in mind it's an awkward angle! but to be honest, it's not bad. at least, we both have our eyes open and no one's head got cut off.

 
At 2:00 PM, October 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No no, you're still very pretty, even at arm's length. But for some reason (and please don't take this the wrong way), I didn't picture you white! I don't know why. You're very worldly, and the girls' blogs that you read during the bar exam and beyond (Maisnon, Roonie, Chai, et. al.) are brownies...so I just assumed...

 
At 4:25 PM, October 06, 2006, Blogger maisnon said...

I'm a brownie! Wait, do I have nuts?

DO NOT answer that! ;)

 
At 4:25 PM, October 06, 2006, Anonymous Sylvie said...

I didn't realize I was reading some white person's blog. Fuck that. I'm outta here.

 
At 10:31 AM, October 07, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

anon - ha, um, thanks? I think?

sylvie - don't be jealous, you know you're a lovely lotus flower.

oh and by the way:
You're doing a heckuva job, Maisnon!

Ah, I can't believe no one beat me to that joke...

 
At 5:07 PM, October 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you shoulda talked to gunn about GLAD issues. he's a big supporter and attends meetings here in nyc--i've seen him 3x and he's always impecably dressed. he would've stayed and talked if you told him you were a member.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares