Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I can't sleep.

It's actually been awhile since I've suffered from insomnia, which is surprising in itself. Usually it's a couple-a-nights a week thing for me, since, ever. But I think because I've been so busy and pulling myself in a lot of directions, I've been plenty tired at night.

Tonight, though, no such luck. I'm tired as hell, but it ain't taking. It's been a whopper of a couple of days, with the moving out thing mostly, plus there's drama at work with that douchebag who disappared on me back in the day, who somehow still has a job there, but is now content to just screw other people over instead of me. Of course, these people are my friends, and the fact he can get away with it at all just pisses me off. I also have a stalker. He's the busboy at a restaurant I used to work at in law school. He stalked me for awhile after I quit, following me around in clubs and calling me all the time, including the middle of the night, until I screamed into the phone one day that he needed to leave me the fuck alone or I was going to call the police. Good times. He actually did leave me alone for a good year after that, but suddenly reappeared a couple months ago. Luckily I've moved, so he has no idea where I am, and I actually don't think he's a threat to my safety, he's just one of the many thick-skulled men who can't take no for an answer. I ignored his six to ten calls a day at first, deleting his extensivly long messages. He even found some idiot girl, probably a current young waitress who laughs at his jokes, to call me and solicit his goodness and how I should try being friends with him again "because he's just such a great person!" After weeks of this, I finally decided to send a text message to him, because I certainly didn't want to talk to him, and told him to leave me alone, that we weren't friends, and I didn't want to ever be friends. Oh! But silly me! He insisted that we *were* in fact friends and that he cared about me very much! And on, and on, and on. I ignored most of the following messages, except now he was texting in addition to calling (way to go heather). I adopted a new plan. I carried my phone around with me even when I left my desk for a second, so that when he called I could pick up and hang up immediately, so he couldn't leave a message. That was my most successful plan. Least successful was trying to get his number blocked, because apparently they can't do that. So again, it went on, but he eventually stopped calling and resorted to text messages that were so long they had to come in two separate messages. And eventually they went down to one a day. Tonight I got a message that said, essentially, that ignoring him was only making him continue to talk to me, and that I should at least reply to ask him to leave me alone. Nevermind the text I sent last month that said, "LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE." So I adopted a different approach. I send another message, this one polite, saying "Why won't you respect my wishes to leave me alone? Do you have no respect for me?" Because most of his messages were about how much respect and love he had for me. I got another message from him about an hour ago (despite that I ended my message with "Don't reply to this") saying, okay, he'd leave me alone, and some other nonsense. I've obviously let this go on way too long, and I've decided if he contacts me one more time, I'm just changing my number, even though that would be a phenomenal pain in the ass. I've always wondered how you get a stalker. It turns out that it's "be nice to normal people who turn out to be crazy when you stop seeing them everyday." Who knew? What's weird is that even though he's the only crazy stalker I have, I could name at least three people in my life right now with whom I'm having a similar problem. That is, people who claim they care about and respect me, and yet show little evidence of that. Like they just do whatever makes them feel good, without any regard to what I actually want. It actually upsets me greatly. Who knows, maybe they just stopped listening because I talk in very long paragraphs.

Anyway, maybe it's right and karmic that I can't sleep, because I hear my roommate up and about still, and he's never up this late. Of course, the evidence is compounding to show that karma is a lie. So, who knows. Maybe I should go buy something online or something.

10 Comments:

At 2:17 AM, October 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me neither. It's 2:09am and I'm reading your blog. Holla.

- Jason

 
At 2:23 AM, October 11, 2006, Anonymous Jason said...

A Stalker? Do I have to drive back to DC and beat someone down?

 
At 3:46 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger maisnon said...

I know you think he's not a threat to your safety, and I trust your judgment, but you should still consider going to the police. With a record of the number of times he's contacted you after your clear "leave me the hell alone"s you may be able to get a restraining order ... or file a report or something. It may prove useful.

 
At 7:13 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

m - i've considered that, but i don't know where he lives, and don't even remember his last name. going to the police would require me tracking him down, and then what? you used to live here and probably know as well as i do the police have better things to do than help me, like take naps in the alley. plus, i don't think i have nearly enough evidence for a restraining order, which would also require me taking him to court and seeing him in person, and frankly, i think he'd enjoy that i spent all that energy on him. in the alternative, i bought mace. heh.

 
At 9:48 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

also - jason! is this my poor, stuck-in-new-jersey jason?? i didn't know you read my blog! you don't need to wait for stalker beatings, just come back now, yo. we've saved a spot at the bar for you.

 
At 10:07 AM, October 11, 2006, Anonymous Jason said...

I'll be back around the time you move hoefully, provided the Screech Sex Tape doesn't force me to end my life before then. There are a few Bush supporters here in Jerz who need to be dealt with. Speaking of moving, where is your new place? Please don't tell me you've left the District.

I appreciate the spot at the bar, yo. I would appreciate knowing you're safe a little more. Please consider taking the advice in the posting above.

 
At 4:29 PM, October 11, 2006, Anonymous Sylvie said...

Regarding stalker - ok...you text him to meet you in some random dark alley and me and all your girlfriends will jump him with our bats and pepper spray and shit. Yeah!

 
At 10:28 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger archana said...

i feel you on the insomnia. i'm EXHAUSTED every day, and i've slept about 5 hours total since sunday. that's not per night. you'd think my poor little recovering body would have caved by now... but it just keeps trucking away, sans sleep.

with my luck, it's going to crash during my birthday weekend trip to DC! WOOOOO! call chai, see you there?! (and by see you, i mean meet you? haha.)

 
At 5:40 PM, October 13, 2006, Blogger TSC Girl said...

Restraining orders are to prevent harrassment [which this is!] and not just threats to your physical safety. Although I must admit I am not intimately aware of the laws in DC, in NJ you would have more than enough evidence to get at least a temp restraining order. If you have his cell number then you can get his mialing address off the internet [for a small fee] or better yet let the police get the info from his cell provider.

Good luck!

 
At 6:12 PM, October 13, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Okay, I looked it up: restraining orders in DC cost $160. Nice. Either way, he's stopped contacting me, so hopefully it's all moot now. I have all my phone records if I need them in the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares