Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Just Keep Turning the Effing Screw People

This morning I got an email from an HR person at a government agency. The email was blank but attached was a letter that said, thanks for applying, but your application arrived after the deadline, so we didn't even bother opening it. WTF. Even though this was over a month ago, I remember applying for this specific job and also that it was getting, eh, kind of close to the deadline (I hadn't seen it earlier). But those government applications take hours, and I can guarentee you I wouldn't have bothered if I was cutting it so close I would have missed the deadline, and in fact, I remember mailing it in at least 4-5 days before that date.

So, what happened? I would bet money it sat in the basement mailing room of their office for two weeks before it was delivered upstairs. Is it so hard to go by the fucking postmark, people?

Anyway, to add insult to injury, I just received another email from her, telling me to disregard the last letter that had been sent by mistake (oh?) and here's the correct one. IT WAS THE SAME LETTER. Except apparently the first one was just addressed to another applicant (I hadn't noticed because I opened it in html, not Word, so the format was funky). Alright already. I GET IT.

I'm seriously considering quitting this job and taking on a more lucrative yet painful temp job, so I can take every other month off and just fuck around, travel, or freelance. Clearly someone is telling me this current track I'm on just ain't going anywhere.

3 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, October 25, 2006, Anonymous Scott Chacon said...

I once got an email from Google asking if I was interested in applying for a job there. I ignored it. Then, two weeks later, I got an email that said this :

"We received your resume and would like to thank you for your interest in Google. After carefully reviewing your experience and qualifications, we have determined that we do not have a position available which is a strong match at this time."

I didn't even apply and I was rejected. How do you suppose that feels? They're like, "ya know what? nevermind. we basically sense that you're too stupid to work here."

 
At 3:23 PM, October 25, 2006, Blogger T said...

Everyone I know who has been hired by the Feds has said that it takes at least six months from application to hire. One position, which I'm interested in, has been telling me that they'll make a final decision 'this week' - for the past several months.

In summary, eh - it's the government. If you wanted a well run HR dept, you should go private sector.

All that being said, I don't even apply if they won't accept my resume by fax or email. With all the anthrax scares and general incompetence, any letter I send (I assume) will just drop into a black hole.

 
At 6:13 PM, October 28, 2006, Anonymous Sandy Schwab said...

You mean to tell me that even if you've studied a perfectly sensible subject at uni, getting a good, well-paying job is still not an easy thing? Crap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares