Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Maybe I'll finally get that pillow.

November is already gearing up to be a crazy busy month. On Sunday I helped move my new roommate into our apartment, which she's going to sublet from the owners until the 5th, when my lease begins. It was good, we hung out a little more and talked about where we'd set up furniture, which was a little difficult because the place was still packed to the brim with the owners furniture. Their movers came yesterday and now the roommate tells me the place looks enormous. Oh man, I'm so excited! I kept admiring my new marble kitchen counters the whole time I was there.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this couch in light green. I know, it's Ikea, but I've sat on this couch back when Tony almost bought one last year, and it's a perfectly decent sitting experience. Plus, the price is all kinds of right. The owners are selling me this very nice futon that will round out the living room. I'm selling my bed to the roommate and buying a queen. Holla! I already bought the mattress and can't effing wait to pick it up this weekend. One day very soon I will fit completely in a bed!

Actually, the fun begins in earnest this weekend, when I disassemble my bedroom furniture in order to fit it down the stairs, haul it six blocks with the help of an SUV and some very generous, beer-loving, muscled friends, and then reassemble it. I'll leave my old mattress at my current place so I can sleep there through Thanksgiving, and sublet my new room to a doctoral-thesis writer who's paying an ungodly sum of money for a two week rental. (Shhh!) I also have to hit up Ikea on Saturday with the roommate for some small things, maybe a bookcase or two, and probably a bunch of other things I'll find that I Totally Need. Becks has generously offered to give me her boxes after she moves into the city this weekend, which is great because I was totally going to wing it this time and just cram it all in a Zip Car after Thanksgiving, but this will let me plan ahead a little.

Oh, check it out, new roommate has a sweet knife block! I've always wanted a knife block, and went out looking for a set awhile back before I realized I was going to have to drop hundreds and hundreds of dollars for stuff that chops things good. Seeing as my primary culinary talent, however, lies in this Chopping Stuff Good category, I'm totally stoked to experience her knives next time I make some pico de gallo.

Putting the cart before the horse, as usual, we've practically got our housewarming party all planned out. She's even got people planning to come down from Philly. Rage! Or something. I just hope it's not so frigid that people don't want to at least briefly go outside and gawk at my awesome patio and dream of the warm, all-night, beer-filled bar-b-ques that will start promptly on the spring equinox. Apparently my friend Paul has already planned his summer Sunday nights to revolve around Sierra Nevada's in my backyard, which is just fine by me.

4 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, October 31, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

I love moving. That sounds like so much fun.

 
At 2:29 PM, November 02, 2006, Blogger Sandra Schwab said...

An Ektorp couch. :) I certainly love mine: it's quite wonderful for transforming into a couch potato once in a while. I also like their new Stockholm series -- it seems though, that it's not yet available in the US. The Stockholm armchairs look really stylish.

Happy moving!

 
At 2:51 PM, November 03, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Oh, I like those chairs Sandra. But only sold overseas? We American's have it so hard over here...

 
At 10:37 AM, November 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stolkholm series? I can't help it: What's it called when you can't get out of the chair but you still love it and maintain it's a wonderful chair?

Meanwhile, I'm envious about your couch. Actually about the whole moving thing. I used to hate it, but it became such a regular excitement in my life for a while. That, and I can't wait to move... But the couches, man! Our two couches were collected by a defunct-businesses repo company, and I bought them for $50 each. They're OFFICE COUCHES. Yeah. In faded, dusty orange stripe. *shudder* I covered them with my own custom beige slipcovers, but here's the problem: I don't exactly sew, per se.

Some day, Ikea's going to be visited by a bekbek with a very large piece of plastic.

Congratulations on the new home. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares