Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Winning Friends Over the Internets

This has been quite the week for meet-ups. I finally got to meet my long-time lurker/recent friend Archana, who is perfectly lovely in person, though unfortunately we didn't get too long to hang out. I missed the Raging Rager they threw on Friday (I was actually a few blocks away at one of my own, preparing for my early Saturday morning required ethics class, naturally). Where, apparently, I also missed Arch flashing people. Naughty!

So I met them Saturday night instead, and let me tell you, you haven't really Arrived as a Blogger until you enter a room and people greet you with your blog name. I walked into the back of the cafe where Arch and Chai (!) and their big group were all sitting and I get a chorus of "It's the Two-Timer!" Ha, that's something I didn't think of when I named TTtC. Apparently there were some other folk there who lurk around these parts, but with all the people, and trying to catch up with Chai, I didn't get to chat with everyone, so if you're reading, say hello!

So then I'm sitting at work on Monday and I get an IM from blogger friend Jake, who tells me he was in DC this weekend and thought about dropping me a line, but figured I'd be busy, and he was quite busy himself, at a conference and visiting friends. But still! I'm mortally offended! Where's all that "naive optimism," eh? Missed opportunities, sigh. I totally would have given you all my bar exam flashcards, too. Now I'll just have to feed them to the dog.

Then today I met my new roommate in person. We didn't meet over the blog, though, but when she answered my craigslist ad. She's from PA, so she drove down to see the neighborhood and meet me. It looks like we'll get along splendidly, and we had a good time walking around the 'hood. Except I think I accidentally dissed one of my neighbors. He lives in a group house a block away, but we've never been formally introduced, though we were talking in the same group of people at a party last week. I really didn't even see him, and my new roommate whispered as he passed, "That guy was totally smiling at you!" which I just couldn't help but think was hysterical. She'll be a good wingman. But anyway, as he passed I realized who he was, so oops. I did that to a law school acquantance the other day, too, I didn't even realize who she was as she was smiling at me, then realized I knew her after I'd given her the stoneface I've adopted for city-walking. If you got hollered at ten times a day, you'd adopt one, too. In fact, my new roommate and I got some seriously gross come-ons walking down U, and I was like, "Now you've been initiated! We'll buy you some mace later."

4 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, October 18, 2006, Blogger Golden Silence said...

...the stoneface I've adopted for city-walking. If you got hollered at ten times a day, you'd adopt one, too.

Oh, man. I am sick of these skeevy-ass loser men making it hard for us women to simply walk down a street. It sucks that we can't let our guard down even when we are around our friends and acquaintances.

 
At 5:47 PM, October 18, 2006, Anonymous roonie said...

If you got hollered at ten times a day, you'd adopt one, too.

Girl, if you've got it, you've got it!

 
At 6:42 PM, October 18, 2006, Blogger archana said...

awesome to meet you, two-timer ;)

i cannot believe you posted my flashing incident on your blog! why is it hilarious to me when i do it and produces a gasp when i see it in print?! perhaps because the surprise is mine this way? :)

 
At 12:43 PM, October 19, 2006, Anonymous roonie said...

I gasped, too. I think I met Archana; I didn't know she had the flasher in her! A duo consisting of The Two-Timer and The Flasher could make a night of lots and lots of fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares