Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Baggage Update From Hell (Updated...Still in Hell)

Well this is turning into a nightmare of epic proportions. Remember how they lied and told me my bag was just on a later flight to Chicago? Then remember how, when I told them how my bag was mis-tagged, they "found" it and "put it on a flight to D.C."? That was also a lie. I was on the phone with them all last night, with people who told me, "Oh, it seems your bag came in on that flight, but there's no record of it actually being there now." Oh? After some fruitless conversations with the baggage agent, she had the delivery person call me. Why? I have no idea. All he could tell me was that, "Nope, it's not here." So, thanks for the confirmation. He also had no record that he was supposed to even pick up a bag to deliver to my address. He said he would call the agent again to see what happened. You know what happened here, right? The agent totally just pawned me off on him. We both know the delivery guy only knows what you tell him, so I can't even get mad at him. FUCK.

This, by the way, is where I start to light shit on fire.

This morning I called them again. I explained the entire situation again (and the story's getting longer each time) to this new agent, who spent an extremely long time putting me on hold while she "figured out what was going on." Turns out, no one has any idea what the fuck is going on. She "thinks" the airports, despite what the lady told me yesterday, did NOT put our bags on flights, but instead delivered them anyway. Which is funny, because no one tried to delivery anything to me, wrong bag or not. But apparently she "thinks" my bag is on its way to Myrtle Beach, the address that other lady gave for her bag. Right.

I was very patient the whole time, and would've been happy to stay on hold all day if it meant I'd get my bag back. But she didn't ever call the airports to talk to someone who could physically look at the bags. She drafted letters. One sent to D.C. and one to Atlanta, explaining that they shouldn't be delivering the wrong bags. That'll do it! At this point I just started to question, "How do I know they're getting these letters? I mean, the lady yesterday told me they were being put on flights, but clearly no one got that message. Can't you talk to someone?"

Quickly she launches into her spiel about how she can NOT talk to the airports because they're "very busy" and "not picking up their phones," and how she's just in a call center in Dallas and can't do anything. I asked if I could call someone at the airport and she laughed and said, "no." WTF. This went on for awhile and it's safe to say our conversation did not end well.

Afterwards I called the other passenger. Turns out she has already authorized the hotel where she's staying to sign for the baggage (she assumed, of course, that they were sending hers), so when she arrives in a few hours my bag may just be sitting there. Lucky for me, she seems to be an extremely nice woman, who's also being screwed because the baggage she lost was carrying all of her baby's clothes and supplies.

We've decided that if my bag is at her hotel, she's just going to call me directly so I can call FedEx and have it delivered myself. And afterwards, I'll metro down to National and see if her bag is still sitting in the AA office, claim it, and FedEx it to her myself. Normally I wouldn't trust a total stranger like this, but clearly the massive incompetence of this corporation leaves us no other choice. At this point I'm actually hoping my bag is on its way to Myrtle Beach.

Update: The other passenger called and said they delivered her bag. Damn. Good for her, but damn. I called the airline again and after being on hold for about 15 minutes she was all like, "Gosh, there's just no record of it!" Omg, I'm never going to see my possessions again. She, however, said she called Reagan National directly, but of course couldn't get through, so she sent them an email and asked them to call me (for once). She said to check back in a few hours if I haven't heard from anyone. I'm thinking about just going down there tonight and taking a look around, but that's probably wishful thinking.

6 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, November 21, 2006, Anonymous Becks said...

Oh man. "From Hell" indeed. You should totally try to get AA to reimburse you for the FedEx but, I'll admit, it's unlikely.

 
At 2:03 PM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

I'm really concerned they're going to have to reimburse me for my lost luggage, which I'm sure will be about 10% of what it's actually worth. I have renters insurance, too, but I still doubt that will cover half of it.

 
At 3:26 PM, November 21, 2006, Anonymous matt w said...

All I have to offer is impotent fantasies of violence.

 
At 4:41 PM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Chai said...

AHHHHHH!!!!!!! i am feeling your stress. fucking eh!!!!! i wish i was there to help you out, dude. what a crock of shit.

 
At 6:03 PM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Lindsay said...

suuuuuuccks. I once had to drive from BWI to National at 1 in the morning to try and find misflown bags. Obviously, they were not there.

I will say that they were eventually they were delivered to my office three days later, but only after I raised hell because they "wouldn't deliver to my house because no one was there to sign for them." WTF. I'm at WORK, people. Hate hate hate.

 
At 7:13 PM, November 21, 2006, Anonymous Jason said...

Wow. Did you leave a bomb in your bag? Or even worse, hair gel? They lost my shit once, but I got it back pretty quick. That was US Airways though. I really hope you get your stuff back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares