Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I guess I better make a lot of money before I die, too.

This is fun, at least for you art nerds out there. The Guardian makes a list of twenty artworks to see before you die. (Via Tyler) Sadly, and perhaps unsurprisingly, I only know for sure that I've seen one of them, when I was in Paris a few years ago. Naturally, they're all in foreign locales like The Hague, South Africa, and Houston, Texas. Although I've been to MoMA, it was a very long time ago and I just can't picture those pieces listed (as in, picture myself standing there examining them in person). Which isn't to say I haven't seen some amazing stuff, and even before I started writing about art (like, almost a whole year now!) couldn't leave a new town without visiting their art museum. By the by, the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes in Buenos Aires is a must-see if you find yourself in Argentina. The regional artists will impress you as much as the Picassos and Rodins.

The subsequent comment thread on the article is a little precious, if you want to wade through it. Some of them offer up some good suggestions with interesting discussion, but the snobby know-it-alls get in the game, since anonymous comment threads are always the best place to show what an out-of-touch egomaniac you are. Highly recommended reading, by all accounts.

1 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, November 01, 2006, Anonymous catherine said...

that's neat. i've seen most of the ones in italy but hardly anything else...my favorite italy one has to be Masaccio, The Expulsion of Adam and Eve from Paradise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares