Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My pink flamingos will outlive everyone

I'm getting hosed by Washington Gas here, who've chosen to come in the "5" part of the 7am-5pm slot. Jesus. I hope they plan on taking a day's pay off my first bill. Yeah, that'll happen. Also, it's totally freezing in here because, like, there's no gas, man.

The subject is a line from Electric Six's Pink Flamingos, which I found via DCeiver's list. I've been listening to these dudes all day and am totally sold on this awesome kind of 80's-ish hard rock-ish band. I especially like Slices of You, but you can't beat the lyrics to Pink Flamingos (which don't seem to be online, sorry).

I totally had a small victory over The Man this afternoon. My new roommate came home at lunch, so I took the opportunity to run out and get some food. I didn't remember until I got to the cashier that I didn't have any cash on me, so I handed him my debit card. He pointed to the sign that said "Sorry, Minimum Charge of $5 on Credit Cards." I only owed $4.06, but really didn't want anything else, especially if it was just so I owed them more, so I said, "That's actually illegal." And from what I know, that's true; it's part of the contract that businesses sign with the credit companies that the establishment won't require a minimum. Of course, the businesses often require it anyway because they have to pay them a fee each time they swipe a card. So anyway, trying to ignore me, he said, "Do you want a cookie?" I said, "No, I want you to charge $4.06 on my card." And he took my card and totally did it. Ha! It's the small victories, people.

Since it's random thought Tuesday on TTtC today, here's another one. Seeing hot dudes on the street is totally irritating. Oh sure, it's great for those few seconds when you both look at each other and you trade smile; even better when you do the 'look back' at the same time after you pass. You know what I'm talking about. But then what, eh? This happened to me yesterday on the way home, this cute semi-scruffy boy and I passed each other on U and totally had that "moment." We may or may not have seen into each other's souls. But he's gone forever! Woe is me. For reals. Oh wait, is this where I'm supposed to go check out 'missed connections'?

Speaking of missed connections, where the HELL is the gas man??

4 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, November 14, 2006, Blogger Jake said...

so i don't think the gas people will charge you if you're gas isn't actually being used. which its not w/o the pilot. otherwise you'd probably explode when you turned on a light switch or something.

 
At 7:16 PM, November 14, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

no, i meant they should take off my bill the couple hundred dollars of income i lost today because i had to take the day off. they sure as hell better not charge me for gas!

 
At 7:18 PM, November 14, 2006, Blogger Jake said...

oh, right.

and are you sure it wasn't L st., and that you had dark hair yesterday: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mis/234523805.html

 
At 7:35 PM, November 14, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

ha, i wondered if anyone would go look. and no, i'm afraid that wasn't me. though it does beg the question - would i actually reply if it was?? maybe he reads my blog though. stranger things have happened.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares