Monday, November 13, 2006

Wednesday cannot come soon enough

Thank CHRIST I decided to move out. One thing I'm really good at, which can be both an asset and a detriment, is convincing myself that a situation is totally fine. Apparently, and mostly subconsciously, I've been doing that with my living situation for the past year. I only realized it when I was with Sylvie on Saturday, so angry from the most recent inconsiderate action by my roommate, and she was like, "I had no idea you were so unhappy there." I stopped and thought about it for a second, and suddenly realized that things have been like this since pretty much day 1, but I'd either convinced myself that the pros far outweighed the cons, or that there was nothing I could do about it since we had a one year lease, so I might as well pretend I was happy there. And let's be honest, my garden was more than enough to keep me content for a long time.

No roommate situation is ever perfect, and I doubt my new place will be paradise, but this is some serious bullshit we're talking about here. For one, the dog. No matter how many times and how many ways I've asked him to take the simplest actions in training him, he was more than happy to let that mongrel attack every single one of my friends who dared to come through the door. Most of them have threatened, justifiably, to throw the dog under a bus the next time it comes near them. I don't blame them one bit. By the by, I had that thing trained when he was off traveling for work, he just undid it all when he got back because he lets the dog do anything. So now I can't even order pizza without it being a big production with the dog, or even walk out of my house without getting bit half the time (including Saturday morning). Who let's their animal attack people and is just fine with it?

Then of course there's the whole live-in boyfriend situation. I think the guy's great and consider him a friend, but c'mon - who lives in a house five days a week (including every single weekend) and expects NOT TO PAY RENT. I'm serious. I've been late to work many times because he was in the shower when I got up, not to mention they don't ever go out, so I'm sequestered to my bedroom because they're always on their asses in front of the television. Yeah. I pay half the rent, but I'm a guest in my own house.

And this weekend, now that I'm losing that facade of "oh it's alright!", really was just the last straw. His friends from New York came down and no one bothered to tell me, which is hilarious times two, because hey, I thought I was friends with these people, too. Except not really, this is one of the many totally superficial law school friends I have, only a few of whom have turned into real people after graduation, but this one I've only kept in contact with because I live with his ex-boyfriend. And hey, I don't care if people stay at our place, I would have been totally fine with it, except that no one cared to ask my opinion, and I didn't know about it at all until I woke up on Saturday and our entire first floor was occupied...and continued to be occupied as they sat on their asses all fucking day. He thinks I'm mad simply because they were there, but who invites people over without once running it by the people who are going to have to adjust their lives to accommodate them? I've never, ever had people over to the house without consulting him, partly because of the dog, but also because it's just simple respect. Am I right? I never threw a party without asking him - though he went so far as to invite the most heinous people in Washington over for a huge kegger without asking me at all. Remember, I found out when I got the evite update. Oh, and to top it off, I found our front door totally unlocked THREE times this weekend, because he couldn't be bothered to host his unannounced guests properly by giving them a key, or just hauling his ass out of bed to let them in. (Rest assured, I locked the door each time I found it that way; that's what doorbells are for.)

Now, he's done more than enough to show me how little respect he has for me, and I did the only thing I could do - move out, but this disregard for my personal safety in a neighborhood not exactly known for it's low crime rate could not go ignored, so I told him that was absolutely unacceptable. Long story short, that's pretty much the end of that friendship. But I don't have any more energy for people who think it's okay to walk all over me. Anyway, as noted above, he rarely leaves the safety of his own house, so I knew once we moved out I'd never see him again anyway. I'm sure that he, his non-rent paying roommate, and his rabid dog will all be very happy together with no person hiding in the guest room paying half their rent and asking that pets behave like pets. He's moving this weekend, but I'm leaving for California Wednesday, so I just have two more days to make it through. Let's see if he leaves the door wide open when he leaves.

1 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, November 25, 2006, Blogger bekbek said...

Wow, I'm really behind in reading your blog. What a chatty Cathy! But this post really struck home, maybe because just last night I was near tears trying to explain how pretty much all I want to accomplish in life is TO HAVE MY OWN PLACE.

Roommates are great because city life demands them. But oh, for the solo apartment. And it's funny now, because here I am all married, and I count "just the two of us" as "a place all to myself." It's like it's the same thing.

Except for the whole fact that he happens to have some children, and you know what kids are like? It turns out, they're like the absolute worst roommates.

Ya can't run around the house naked or ANYTHING. Pfft.

This has been yet another going-nowhere comment, from your stranger-pal, bekbek. You're welcome! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares