Thursday, November 23, 2006

What I'm thankful for...

Peace and quiet. I haven't been home for Thanksgiving in...let's see, four plus three, carry the one...nine years. Since my senior year in high school. (Christ, I got old.) Maybe that seems strange to you, but I went to college on the other side of the country, and like most schools, didn't get the whole week off, just Thursday and Friday, which meant I would either have to skip classes or brave the insanity of flying during the holiday. Not to mention the plane fares. Since Christmas was a month away anyway, I just always decided to stay on campus, and honestly, it was the best time of the year. It's the one time of the year you can walk down the street, down your dorm hallway, or just sit in your living room and be totally alone. No expectations that people will call, or that you have to call anyone (except Mom), no one to bother you as you spend the entire day screwing around, watching dvds, or, as my ocd-self likes to do occasionally, totally rearrange my closets.

As you know, I went home to VTA last week, and I'm lucky because my whole family lives in the same city, so I don't need a holiday for them to gather in one place. Instead of boring turkey, we got together and had delicious mexican food. I guess if I were a bigger fan of the Thanksgiving meal, I'd miss going home, but I'm just not. And anyway, my mom made garlic mashed potatoes while I was there last week. (And Mom's meatloaf! Score!)

So today I'm going into work for a few hours, because I make overtime and it's totally worth it to trek downtown for a few hours to make half my rent. Then I'm going home, packing a bit, and picking up my zipcar at 3pm to do a few minor hauls over to the new apartment. Then I'm going to sit in front of the television, order pizza (I've moved up from my traditional undergrad Thanksgiving Lean Cuisine), and DO NOTHING. Or maybe pack.

It's funny, every year more and more people, maybe cause we're getting older, choose not to go home, but hang out with friends in the city instead. I have at least four friends having informal dinners going on tonight, which is great. I thought about hitting them up, but having this day to myself is almost like my own tradition. I'm definitely one of those people that needs 'alone time' every so often, and this is like a guaranteed slot for it.

So anyway, hope y'all are enjoying your holiday. I know I am!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares