Sunday, December 10, 2006

10 days. TEN DAYS.

Yeah, I leave for India in ten days, which means it's close to freak-out time. Luckily, and thanks to my new friend who informed me of a camping store in Pentagon Row, I finally managed to buy a backpack today, which means I'm more or less ready to roll. Any random thing I'm missing I'm sure I'll be able to get while I'm strolling around Bangalore that first week. Oh, except for my Visa. Right. Gotta get that Visa this week.

As suspected, I'm getting a little angsty. Though I'm sure the month will pass by too quickly, and though I'm sure by all accounts I'm about to embark on - even if just in the slightest - a life-changing adventure, I'm still sad about leaving for so long and all the random things I'll miss during that time. Is that lame? I've hardly had a chance to enjoy my new place yet (and have paused the unpacking, once everything was 'clean' for the party and preparing for India took center-stage, my totally disorganized closet/desk/etc seemed like projects too big to embark on just now). And over the past year and a half since I graduated, I really feel like I've made a pretty good life for myself in D.C. I've spent that time becoming very close with people I met during the terrible Staffwise days, and have recently been becoming better friends with folks in the neighborhood and through DCist (e.g.). I may not have a "real" job, but I've made a lot of inroads here (uh, yes, I'm at the office Sunday, taking a break...I have to hand my major case over to another guy, and it turns out I've been keeping a ton of information in my head, which doesn't help him a whole lot) and garnered respect from the people I work for, not to mention a big office and good pay. And for some reason I have this strange and fairly irrational feeling that it's all going to get fucked up if I look away for a second.

Maybe it's because of the new year, and that always requires some forced awareness of your situation. And maybe because I know for sure that there are some changes that will happen next month that I'm more or less informed of, but will still be gone when it all shakes out. Regardless, I know it's all a very silly feeling, and things will be fine, and my friends and my job will still be here when I get back, and I'll spend the next year interrupting people with obnoxious anecdotes that begin, "Well, when I was in India..."

1 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, December 11, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

Nah, I think it's a very normal feeling. You see both sides of the coin, so to speak. I am really excited for you, though, and I hope you'll find a way to post (both text and photos!) while you're gone. In the end, this is going to be amazing - much more amazing than anything that's happening back here in the US.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares