Thursday, December 21, 2006

Ha...NOW I remember Heathrow

Last time I was here was a few years ago as my mom and I literally ran for miles and miles in the 15 min we had to make our connection. I guess it doesn't matter this time because apparently I have SEVEN hours until my flight. I guess I never actually looked at that part
of my itinerary. So, I've got some time to kill. Btw, I just got 10 dollars worth of pounds, which comes out to just over THREE. Jesus. I knew the exchange rate was bad, but I didn't realize it was THAT bad. I tried to get Rupees, but they're telling me it's actually "restricted currencies" and you're not supposed to take them in or out of the country. Who knew? I mean, I've got some in my bag here.

I watched Something's Gotta Give on the flight over, which I knew would be lame as hell, but holy crap, if that wasn't one steaming pile of anti-feminist bullshit, I'm not sure what is. Well played, Ms. Keaton, well played. I pulled out my headphones and just watched Keanu for awhile.

I'm almost all the way through this book called Namesake, which I'd amazon link for you, but I'm emailing this in and you know how that html goes. What an apropriate book for this trip. It's about a couple who marries and moves to the US, and about how they and their children struggle with becoming Americanized. There are some great quotes which I'd copy but that seems not very pound-efficient at the moment. There's all these scenes I'm literally about to embark on...like seeing the Taj Mahal for the first time, or just trying to "understand" India as a non-Indian born person. I'm tired and forgetting them all now. I would highly recommend it for American born Indians, I think they'd probably identify more than I, but it's good nonetheless.

So while waiting for my flight out of DC, I realized the one thing I forgot. I didn't bring anything for Chai's grandparents. These folks are putting me up in a house for a week and I brought NOTHING. Talk about the height of impoliteness. Now I'm not sure what to do. I can't very well come half way across the world and buy them something in India. It'd be like your friend visiting from Calcutta and buying you a tin of cookies at the local CVS. Get something at Heathrow?
"Chai's Grandmother, thank you so much for letting me stay at this house for a week. Here's a bottle of Jim Beam, duty free!" Sigh.

I guess I'll just go buy myself a 7 dollar latte or something. 16 hours til India!

2 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, December 21, 2006, Blogger Erin said...

i'm so jealous... i want to go back so badly! i posted on my blog about my one year anniversary of being there. it really was an experience i will never, ever forget. i can't wait to read about what you're doing over there... so that i may live vicariously through your journies.
:)

and then i will plot my return... or should i say, continue to plot. i've been plotting ever since i left!

 
At 10:57 PM, December 21, 2006, Blogger Erin said...

i spelled "journeys" wrong. dammit. this will drive me crazy.

carry on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares