Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Largely, yes.

A faithful reader just forwarded me this. First, it's a little funny that somehow this has turned into a dating blog. Or at least, every time I mention dating people send in mail. Or maybe my intern just keeps all the checks and gushing fan letters people send in and only passes along the craigslist forwards. It's even funnier considering the conversation we had last night during the Collective about how no one on DCist could write a sex column cause it'd be full posts of, "So last night I tried this new frozen dinner from Trader Joes (yum-o!), watched Top Chef because Sam is so dreamy, and went to bed early."

Second, re the craigslist posting, I also think it's a little funny that dating would be your only analyzation point of whether or not a city is a good place to live. Sure, it's up there in the list of annoyances about living somewhere, but I'm not sure I'd factor it into my decision whether or not to pack up and move there.

Thirdly, the person who wrote this was clearly a dude, so I don't exactly empathize with his point-of-view ("guys: all the chicks are ugly; chicks: all your friends will be ugly"), but, okay. He's definitely on point with some of it ("The men here are a bunch of vanilla pansies that are scared to approach a woman in a bar"). Ah D.C., The City of Vanilla Pansies. I'm curious to know if most guys really think that all or most of the girls in this town are ugly and out of shape. Taking a quick look down the street and at the mental picture of my friends here, I don't really see that. Anyway, I wonder what event made him break down and post a rant about it. Did he finally snap from the crushing inevitability that he's gonna go to every Rumors happy hour for the rest of his life and never find his One True Love? I guess that'll do it.

4 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, December 13, 2006, Anonymous roonie said...

I disagree with everything in that CL post. DC women can't be categorized that easily - they are from all over the place! And DC is an AWESOME place to be single - everyone is smart, educated, and willing to strike up meaningful conversations (okay, not everyone, but a lot of them). I had an awesome time being single in DC, simply awesome. But that's not a good enough reason to live there. And, like you said, if that's the criteria, move to Vegas. DC isn't interested anyway.

 
At 7:12 PM, December 13, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Don't forget the part about the "monied" guys in DC not being as good as the ones in NY/LA.

Obviously he's just a turbo.

 
At 10:09 AM, December 14, 2006, Blogger bekbek said...

I like vanilla, and pansies are both pretty and practical.

 
At 3:52 PM, December 15, 2006, Blogger Julian said...

A counterintuitive thought: Could willingness to approach women in bars actually vary *inversely* with the average attractiveness of the city's women? Because basically the only thing you have to go on if you're approaching a woman at a bar is: "does she look good"? Now, if we lived among trolls, it probably would be worth taking a chance on one of the rare attractive people you see. But we don't. Hot, frankly, is cheap: There are enough cute and smart people in the city that I've got no incentive to risk (and the risk is high) a tedious conversation with a tedious stranger whose only *known* feature is being easy on the eyes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares