Friday, January 26, 2007

awesome...

One of the things I like best about doing photo of the day over at DCist is finding link trails to the most unusual things. So many of these photos have great stories behind them, some of the photographers have amazing personal web sites or blogs, and those have links to other interesting things.

Today I was looking at Flickr user birdcage's photos and clicked through to her blog. This story was hilarious, but what totally sucked me in and will most assuredly take up most of the rest of my day was this post, about FOUND Magazine. Birdcage has her "favorite find" up there, and I did exactly what she described, read the note and opened my eyes very wide right around the middle. So yeah, now I'm clicking through the rest, to find gems like this, this, this and especially the first one. I could probably link to all them.

Enjoy!

Update: Okay, now I'm just internet stalking her a little bit, but I followed the book quiz from her blog, which is very short and interesting, and it turns out I'm a book I've never heard of before. It's all pretty true except the "focus on Europe" part, and I'm not really sure why it focused on war so much, except I said I appreciate history, but okay. Time to go to the library.




You're The Guns of August!

by Barbara Tuchman


Though you're interested in war, what you really want to know is what causes war. You're out to expose imperialism, militarism, and nationalism for what they really are. Nevertheless, you're always living in the past and have a hard time dealing with what's going on today. You're also far more focused on Europe than anywhere else in the world. A fitting motto for you might be "Guns do kill, but so can diplomats."


Take the Book Quiz at the Blue Pyramid.

3 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, January 26, 2007, Blogger The Governess said...

Found is great. The creator/editor, Davy Rothbart, does speaking engagements occasionally. I think he was in DC a year or two ago. I've heard they're fantastic, although I haven't managed to see him myself.

 
At 9:45 AM, January 27, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

Ooh, I'll have to keep a eye out.

 
At 8:51 PM, June 14, 2007, Anonymous Dr. Birdcage said...

The Guns of August is a great book. And I'm coming to this so very late, but I'm glad someone has enjoyed the blog ;P FOUND magazine is awesome-- and Davy et al came to D.C. last year and did a thing at the Wonderland Ballroom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares