Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Delicious Weekend

Well I suppose if I wanted to start a new year, this was a pretty great start. My very good friend Kristy was down from Boston this weekend for a conference, and she ducked out early on Friday so we could grab dinner and catch up. We spent hours over Ethiopian food (btw, Etete = mmmm) and a couple bottles of wine staring at her brand new engagement ring (he proposed in Paris five days ago), amusingly practicing eating one-handed for her possible upcoming trip to India (ironic fact: she's the one who inspired me to take a month off and travel, and now my photos have inspired her to go to India for her wedding), and having some really tough but necessary conversations about her experience with her step-mother, who recently passed away, and the very similar situation with my grandfather (result: bought a ticket home for St. Patrick's day weekend - he's the Irish Catholic in the family).

Near 4 a.m. we flagged her a cab back to her hotel in Dupont, but she came over the next day to walk down 14th Street with me and check out the galleries. It was really, really good to catch up with her. It's funny, because Kristy's reputation has always sort of jokingly been that she's a bit, well, flighty, but she's quite actually the most stable, insightful person I know, and talking to her about all these things going on in my life has probably given me more clarity than anything else in recent months.

As a double bonus, I caught Rebecca online Saturday night, another good college friend (in fact, the three of us lived together for awhile) who I haven't talked to in forever. I detoxed for the night and stayed in talked to her for hours. She's quitting her big firm job soon and wants to take a trip, so now we're tentatively planning an August vacation together, which would be fantastic. I've got to start dealing with my finances, stat, though. Where should we go? Well, that's the fun part.

Then came MORE EATING. Sunday morning I looked out my window and freaked out:
Perfect Day for Brunch
Omg. Then I remembered: *I* didn't have to leave my house! I could put on a tank top and flip-flops, start up the fireplace, and await six of my lovely friends who were soon to arrive carrying delicious foodstuffs. Sylvie's been on this baking kick recently and everyday we're all bombarded by IM's about her biscuits and pancake-cakes, so we told her she had to put her money with her mouth was, and planned a Sunday brunch. Let's put it this way, it lasted seven hours, and even now, ten hours later, I literally can't move off the couch. I may have to unbutton my pants. We didn't even make it to the cheesecake Donna brought over, which is now taunting me from the fridge, and will surely come to an ugly death at the wrong end of my fork during Heroes tomorrow night. I think we're going to have to make this brunch thing a fairly regular occurrence. Actually we had to laugh at ourselves, all sitting around the table stuffing our faces, and we're talking about how we can't wait for May and summer and all the parties and bar-b-ques they'll bring...as if we weren't having a totally great afternoon together at that very moment, heh.

After the snow stopped we heard this awful scraping, and realized my upstairs neighbor had come out to shovel the walk. I leaned outside and yelled, "Hey! You're awesome! Do you need help??" He looked at my tank top and short pants and said, "Ha, I got it, don't worry." So I told him we were having brunch and he should come over for some hot coffee in front of the fireplace when he was done, but instead, he came over with three bottles of wine to share with us. So, I got my walk shoveled and free booze. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Okay, I'm going to finish watching the Oscars, think about the wonderful friends I have, try to figure out how to juggle the two dates I have this week (!!), and...possibly give into the taunting cheesecake for awhile.

1 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Sandra Schwab said...

Sounds like you had a ball. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares