Friday, February 02, 2007

I'm bringing randomback.

Sorry for the little unplanned hiatus, it's been a killer week over here. Unfortunately, all the truly random things that have happened lately all fall in the category of NSFBlog, so, sorry Two-Timer fans. Give me a call and I'll happily share the gossip with you, at least, as much as I'm contractually allowed to. You know how it is. 2007 is shaping up to be the year of Random Adventures, and you won't hear me complaining.

Speaking of which, about a million years ago I was convinced to buy Justin Timberlake tickets, so you can find me at the Verizon Center tonight. I'll be the giant standing among all the prepubescent tweens squealing at the top of their lungs. I won't be doing any squealing, but I may or may not be loitering after the encore and claiming I'll "do anything" for a backstage pass. Kidding. I think.

I finished The Alchemist last night. Talk about a quick read; I didn't realize it's actually a fairy tale, with language at about a fifth grade level. Which isn't to say it wasn't good, and if you've got two hours to kill, you're welcome to borrow it. This definitely seems like one of those books that some folks will find life-changing or inspirational. And that's probably true if you don't actually think about your life that much.

I suppose this week was an interesting time for me to pick it up. Ostensibly it's about following your destiny, which is fine if you live in Sunnydale, but I'm not really a God Has A Plan For Me kinda girl. However, I can, in some respect, get behind Everything Happens For A Reason. Not necessarily because god is weaving his whatever for us all, but because every event, good or bad, opens up new opportunities, and that's how I always try to view my life. I've come to think that way because while 2007 may be the year of Random Adventures, my life has always been like this. For someone who plans as much as I do, it's ridiculous how many things in my life have come about from some unpredictable meeting that wouldn't have happened unless X had happened. I do, in fact, get a lot of jobs this way.

So, I appreciated the book generally, and loved his adventurous spirit for travel. The whole "listening to your heart" part dragged me down a little, but okay. I think I also enjoy the randomness of the cover being stamped, "For Sale in the Indian Subcontinent Only."

What a weird year it's been so far.

2 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, February 02, 2007, Anonymous roonie said...

And that's probably true if you don't actually think about your life that much.

Dude, I loved it. Now I feel like a moron. Now like it's the compass rose for my life, but it's a book that makes you feel like things are a little less complicated, at any rate.

 
At 11:38 PM, February 02, 2007, Blogger Roonie said...

Oops, I meant to say it's NOT like the compass rose...ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares