Thursday, March 22, 2007

I exist!

Oh yes I do. After over a year walking through the halls of my office building, saying hello to the handful of people I've worked with and a few other randoms, arriving and leaving with few people noticing, sometimes not even realizing I was contracted with one of the biggest firms in the world instead of my own private little hallway. And I'll say that I certainly played a big part in that isolation. If there's anything you learn when you're temping, it's that even after a year, it can end like that. So why make friends? Hang things on the walls? Leave anything except a coffee mug in your office?

Then I got hired. My first day corresponded with the every-other-month luncheon for the pretty large practice group I work for. Suddenly I'm being introduced in front of huge groups of people, getting my picture taken in order to spam the entire DC office with it, and that's just the beginning.

I like, get things now. None of this sitting in an office with year-old paint - paint the walls! That phone - "it's so terrible! how long have you had that?? we'll have a new one for you tomorrow!" The empty nameplate I stuck a post-it on with my name because no one could find my office - holy crap! MUST HAVE ENGRAVED NAMEPLATE. How can I do my job without an engraved nameplate? How have I survived this long not having my carpets cleaned every month! Also PLEASE TAKE THIS FREE BACKPACK HEATHER. Free gift with job.

People are stopping by my door to say hello. I went on the first happy hour ever with people I, you know, work in the same building with. I have three HUGE binders to read about firm polices and benefits, the deliveries of which have been prefaced with, "you've been here awhile so you've probably learned all this by now." I'm being moved off cases because over the weekend I suddenly became overeducated for the work. It's SO WEIRD.

Don't get me wrong, it's all great and I'm happy, on the other hand it's so hard not to think, "Who was I last week? Last year? Suddenly I'm deserving of all this? Was I chopped liver last Friday?" You know, like I won the lotto and now everyone wants to be my friend.

Oh, and I'm totally playing on the firm softball team this summer. I just ordered my jersey today.

Unrelated: I realize that I have the most characterless face in the world, which is why people tell me ALL the time that I look like someone they know, but this one hit a new level of what? I was at 14U yesterday and one of the guys working there racked his brain while I was waiting for my coffee. "You know, that singer? She won some grammys? MARIAH CAREY! That's it."

3 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, March 23, 2007, Anonymous sylvie said...

fine...play softball with ppl you don't care about. We don't want you on our kickball team anyways!

 
At 10:07 AM, March 23, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

I have no idea why Donna would think I'd drag my ass out of bed on a Sunday and haul it halfway across the city to play a game "that requires absolutely no athletic ability."

Have you guys met me?

 
At 2:58 PM, March 23, 2007, Anonymous bluegrasshole said...

Met you? I don't know, you DO look kind of familiar...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares