Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The garden blogging begins

Herb garden starters

Yay! I planted my herb starters last week, but because the weatherman said it was going to storm real bad I decided to bring them inside for a few days, figuring they're probably still a little too young and precious to be left to Mother Nature's wrath so soon. When we were at Home Depot the basil plants were atrocious, all wilted over, and Sylvie and I were discussing if we should buy one anyway. She did and has successfully, more or less, nursed it back to life, but while we were contemplating a woman came by and said, "Don't do it! Basil does not grow in this town, serioiusly, I've tried over and over and they NEVER stay alive or grow bigger than a toothpick." If Sylvie and I were cartoons, a thought bubble would have appeared between us as we looked at each other and remembered the basil plant that nearly devoured my yard last year. (In that photo it's about, oh, a third the size it eventually became by the end of the summer.) I still have homemade pesto in my freezer from last year's take. Mmmm....pesto. Nevertheless, I decided to wait until I have a bigger pot to plant it in.

4 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, April 04, 2007, Blogger maisnon said...

I've been meaning to pass this on to you - I've started reading You Grow Girl. Not surprisingly, about gardening!

 
At 6:31 PM, April 04, 2007, Anonymous sylvie said...

Can we just go back to your old place and dig up the basil plant? My plant is looking pretty sad. :(

 
At 9:35 PM, April 04, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

m - yes! actually chai sent me that link last week; i'm reading it voraciously.

s - for real, why did we leave that behind??

 
At 9:07 AM, April 05, 2007, Anonymous sylvie said...

I KNOW! Why did we pack the frozen pesto when we could have packed the basil plant that would have fed us pesto for a lifetime? I could kick myself...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares