Monday, July 23, 2007

Does anyone tell ever Chelsea Clinton she looks like Shakira?

I don't think I've ever been called "shorty" by someone who was actually taller than me, including the teenagers that hollered at me from the high school today, "Hey shaw-dy! Hey! Shakira!" Tally another one up for Miss Hips.

So I spent last week in Oklahoma, which is pretty much exactly how you picture it. Flat, boring as hell, blue sky, great steak, but not so great you'd want to give up civilization for it. Though, I can't complain about living on an expense account for a week, even though I'm totally not the kind of person who feels comfortable taking advantage of stuff like that, but the swank hotel with the flat screen and tasty belgian beer brought by room service was good enough for me. And the team I was with were good people, which makes a world of difference.

I do, however, suddenly feel as if I haven't had a single spare moment since the summer started. Work is crazy and is just about to get crazier, as I'll be babysitting some contract attorneys at an offsite location for awhile. I've been trying to squeeze in time to practice my photography, though I've mostly just been snapping pics of friends while I'm out, including my new favoritist photo ever. I did take some photos at the Art in Heat reception that they're going to use for their web site, so that's neat. I still have a ton from the burlesque show that I haven't processed yet, those are on my to-do list.

Then, the house hunting! I went to see a few places last week, which was pretty fun, even though I have no idea what I'm doing right now. My realtor says the point is just to see a ton of houses, and you'll figure out what you're looking for, and eventually walk into a place and think, "This is it." Which is what I felt when I walked into this apartment, so I do hope that happens. I just can't really afford what I want, which, you know, story of my life, and I have a feeling I'm going to end up getting a condo with no yard, which is going to make me kind of sad, but I also feel like, as long as it's a place I'm otherwise comfortable in, it will be wise for me to purchase *something* to save myself the taxes and build some equity in property. Next week I have to spend time talking to bank people about the mortgage situation, which I'm sure will be fascinating. Or something.

Whew. Oh, and my old college boyfriend called me up this weekend, apparently he's in town and wants to crash here and hang out on Tuesday, so that should be interesting.

4 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, July 24, 2007, Blogger bekbek said...

I've never been on an expense account. I've stayed in some nice hotels. My dream was to someday actually be able to use the mini-bar, and not care how much the tiny bottles cost. Alas, I fear the mini-bar is on its way out, if it has not passed away already.

"I grew up in the age of the mini-bar." Now, there's an opening line...

Now I shall go over to realtor.com and find out what little tiny houses look like in your hood.

 
At 11:44 PM, July 24, 2007, Blogger Roonie said...

You saved the juiciest part for last!

The flat and the boring and the sky and all that stuff? Houston, TX, in a nutshell.

Yes. Feel sorry for me, please.

 
At 11:57 AM, July 27, 2007, Anonymous Ghetto Dictionary said...

uh, "shorty" is slang for a woman/girlfriend/chick. it has nothing to do with physical stature...

 
At 12:16 PM, July 27, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

uh...

1. Duh.

2. You don't think it derived from the fact that most women are shorter than men? And that I find it ironic that the only men who use it are shorter than me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares