Thursday, September 20, 2007

Sensible shoes are a commuters best friend

I was walking to work today and came upon a bicyclist getting ready for her commute. She had on an expensive looking helmet, reflector strips on her jacket, and was in the process of hitching her pant legs up with two bright orange reflector strips that wrapped around her calf...and I certainly won't begrudge anyone doing whatever they can to protect themselves from the asshole/drunk drivers in this town. But as I got closer I saw...no...she wouldn't, after padding herself for the elements? She hopped right on the bike...in her three-inch stiletto heels. Jesus. I wasn't joking about DC being a random amalgam of characters. Sometimes I wonder if this city is just some open-air insane asylum.

So, does anyone know any good butt exercises? Preferably one that doesn't involve laying down, because that seems to be the deal breaker between me and my Pilates tape. When I turned 28, all my friends told me, "get ready to get fat." (Thanks friends!) And I laughed them off with my pre-28 year old metabolism mindset. Lo', the beer and burgers I have consumed this summer have taken up not a sublet, like the contract stated, but a long-term lease on my ass. It didn't help that I spent six weeks in July and August eating catered buffet dinner every night (and when in the history of the universe has anyone ever exhibited portion control at a free buffet?) and taking taxis home every night at 11 p.m. So now I've got this unwanted, holdover tenant to evict from my ass. Any advice or assistance for the legal retainer would be much appreciated.

4 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, September 20, 2007, Anonymous Sylvie said...

This one has worked for me:

http://www.shapefit.com/butt-exercises-reverse-lunges.html

I also do a bunch of lunges, squats, and you can do those and then just kick foward.

 
At 1:16 PM, September 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's all about the lunges and squats.

 
At 5:04 PM, September 21, 2007, Blogger The Goo said...

The butt is the easiest thing to take care of. Lunges and squats-yes, but here's the thing- you can sneak them in when no one's looking.A few before you sit on the toilet or when you get up (um, you may want to rethink this if you're not a thorough wiper), do a few in the shower, hover over your chair until the muscles start shaking before you sit down, you're good to go.

 
At 2:36 PM, September 22, 2007, Blogger Sandra Schwab said...

Callanetics or TaeBo work wonders. TaeBo in particular is great for the thighs, too!

And let me tell you: once you hit 30 things will go down, down, down. One day you will wake up and find your first wrinkle or your first gray hair. It's all terribly tragic. *g*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares