Friday, October 05, 2007

Hello other grown ups. I'm here!

I just bought my first freaking house. Well, that's not quite true, I'm under contract, and a billion things could still happen between now and closing at the end of October.

I'm still wigging out a little. Today was a mess. I got the counter-offer from the bank around 1pm...except it wasn't a counteroffer, so much as it was "We reject your counteroffer, but reopen our last offer." Actually, that was exactly the price point I wanted to buy the house at, it was just not as much as I wanted in seller's closing fees, but the bank has some kind of policy about not offering more than 3%. At the same time, a second offer was placed on the house this morning, so no more dilly-dallying -- time to act. I decided I would have to bite the bullet and come to closing with some dough. I've got a little bit saved, the only real issue is that -- remember -- this is a fixer-upper; I'm going to need every penny I have to get it liveable.

I still have some options for mortgages, one includes an awesome, but iffy-if-I-qualify, construction loan, that would give me ten to twenty thousand right away to gut that bitch in a month or two. If I can get it, I won't have to do anything between now and closing, and it won't have to pass inspection. But if I go with a standard mortgage, I'll have a list of things to check off to make it "habitable" and qualify for that kind of loan. Windows, floors, kitchen appliances. Lots of $$ out of pocket. I'm definitely at the base of a limb and need to make sure I don't walk too far out, but all investments are a risk, and I think this is a good risk.

Other things to do:
1) Buy a bike! My commute is going to increase about a mile; too far to walk.
2) Get wireless in the new house ASAP so, ahem, certain freelance bloggers can housesit while construction workers tear the place apart.
3) Go on a pb&j only diet, stop drinking, and stop buying ANYTHING AT ALL that's not house related.
4) Plan a housecooling party for the ol' apartment? Doesn't work with with #3.

Well whatever. WOO!

9 Comments:

At 3:11 AM, October 06, 2007, Anonymous Matt F said...

stop drinking

Enough with the crazy talk, silly woman.

Congrats (tentatively) on the house! That's awesome. Hope everything works out with it.

 
At 12:13 PM, October 06, 2007, Blogger Scenic Artisan said...

congratulations.

 
At 8:47 PM, October 06, 2007, Anonymous bluegrasshole said...

That's awesome! Let me know when to take my coveralls out of storage.

 
At 5:02 PM, October 08, 2007, Blogger Sandra Schwab said...

Oh, that's so cool! Congratulations!

 
At 2:17 PM, October 09, 2007, Blogger Alexandra said...

congrats! that's seriously exciting news.

 
At 5:38 PM, October 16, 2007, Anonymous roonie said...

Congratulations! I don't care if this becomes a house remodeling blog. I look forward to your new house and the progress you make!

 
At 9:53 AM, October 17, 2007, Anonymous Sarah Moffett said...

Before I trip over myself offering congratulations, is the deal done?

I know, I know. Clearly an attorney reading your blog here.

 
At 10:18 AM, October 17, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

Thanks for all the nice words, everyone, but Sarah's right -- it's totally not a done deal yet. Let's put it this way, we went into oral contract over a week and a half ago, but still don't have anything in writing, nor have I gotten the place inspected. This is the biggest, slow-moving machine I've ever dealt with...

 
At 1:43 AM, October 30, 2007, Anonymous eve said...

YAY! Congratulations!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares