Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Don't be jealous, Mom

Oh Yes I Did

Last time we had a little DCist arts staff happy hour, both the theater and classical music critics mentioned that sometimes they can't fill their +1 for the shows they review. It also came out that somehow I've never been to the Kennedy Center, and don't get out to non-visual arts shows enough, so maybe I should start taking advantage of these opportunities when they pop up.

Yesterday came the mother of all plus ones, and even though I'd been at the client's all day, doing my best to squeeze two days worth of work into one (and I did!), and had been up since the break of dawn, I said, "Yo-Yo Ma? Yo betcha!" Ah. Terrible. Sorry.

I found out the 80 bus picks up less than a block from my office and goes straight to the Kennedy Center, and even comes with the requisite crazy-ass babbling guy reeking so badly of liquor I could smell him across the bus. Can you believe that was my first time at the Kennedy Center? That was almost exciting enough in itself.

And the concert? Holy crap, it was so good. Yo-Yo is also crazy tall. No, he didn't play the Bach Suite in G Major, but it was amazing nonetheless. He has such visual enthusiasm and passion you almost expect him to stand up, swing the cello over his head and smash it into the band pit with a flourish after every song. I wrote a little naive "ride-along" paragraph for Charles' review, which should be on DCist tomorrow.

The only thing I still don't get? The crazy ass people who pay up the rear to sit on stage behind the featured musicians. So instead of being mesmerized by Yo-Yo's intense caressing of his cello's neck or Stott lifting her arms to launch them into the piano keys, I'm distracted by 80's mom in the shoulder padded Miami Vice jacket, or the twenty-something with the double D's who going to be real sorry in a decade that no one ever gave her a serious lesson in proper bra support.

I feel like I've been doing a little better and trying new things lately, big exciting things like Taking the Bus and Going to Virginia. And now I can add Going to Classical Music Concerts to that, and man, was that ever a way to start!

Okay, I need to go find myself a West Wing rerun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares