Friday, November 23, 2007

Failure. Success! Failure. Succe...er, failure.

Turkey Time
Here's the delicious turkey and fixins our friend/chef made for us yesterday, while I annoyingly took pictures of everyone and many of the dog. I can appreciate a little dog that just walks around looking cute, but doesn't yap or get under foot. I still could have done without the wiping-dog-ass conversation that we had over dinner though.

Today was Home Improvement Day #2. Nick came back from his Thanksgiving on the island to drive me to Home Depot and try to get a replacement window. This time I brought the broken window with me, hoping that the HD representative could just get me the same thing. It became clear about 5 minutes into the conversation that the window guy was an idiot, but even worse, HD didn't sell what I needed. Essentially I'm going to have to get the gates put on the house next week and just put some plastic over the inside, and special order the window.

The good news is that the rest of the windows snapped back into place relatively easy, so those are ready to be gated up. The final major task for today: new back door. I specifically asked the dude at HD if I had all the pieces to put in the door, and, as I expected, needed to finally buy an electric drill, which is a good investment anyway, along with a "nail set," which is like an awl. I specifically asked if I needed more nails or screws and he told me no. Well, let's just say it's a good thing I can reuse the ones on the current door, because that guy's an idiot.

Anyway, Nick and I went to town on the current door, which is a royal piece of shit, and proceeded to strip all our screwdrivers, rip off jams, and finally, realize how we were going to attach the door, in the dark, without unboarding the house, knowing that an iron gate was going to have to fit in the space as well. We brainstormed, and finally decided to leave it until the morning.

Then we came back to my house so he could examine the bike I bought on craigslist a few weeks ago. Surprise! The bike is a total piece of shit. The entire back hub needs to be replaced, meaning it's not ridable at all, and it *may* just be better, in the end, to buy a new bike than have it fixed, but I'm going to see how much it costs first. Oy.

Tomorrow I have another contractor coming by the house to do estimates on a few things I need done, and I realized that I could half one of the projects if I just take a screw to some shitty drywall the last guy put up. The more and more I look at the house, I realize how totally incompetent the last owner was. Wait, did I say that in my last post? Anyway, he was an idiot, and I'm going to have to fix every little detail he touched. Woot. Hopefully after the contractor leaves I can finish the door and toilet installation. I think we finally found the water on/off lever, so we'll give that a go, too.

Right now I need to go sew a button on my jacket. A regular handyperson I am!

2 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, November 24, 2007, Blogger Scenic Artisan said...

the brentwood home depot is the worst hardware store i have ever been to in my life.

i have never gotten useful information out of anyone there.

(does my bitterness show?)

 
At 2:36 PM, November 25, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

I know, it's really terrible. I wish the Lowe's were closer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares