Sunday, November 11, 2007

Giblets

Am I the only one in the world who doesn't find the traditional Thanksgiving dinner appetizing? I was watching Tyler's Ultimate yesterday, and he was making the "ultimate" Thanksgiving dinner, and I nearly couldn't get through the whole episode. There was the plain roasted turkey, fine, but then it got ugly. Frozen cranberries into a pan, which is nasty enough by itself without the 18 cups of sugar and orange zest, in a vain attempt to counteract the bitter awfulness of the berry that never quite goes away. Then he roasted some yams, which I admit I do love, but he roasted them with some bananas, seriously, and then mushed them all together into this smushy banana tainted yam dish.

I guess I just don't get it. Deli turkey is a staple of my diet, but let's be honest, roasted turkey, no matter how well seasoned it is in theory, is usually pretty dry and bland. That's why people smother it in gravy, but that would require liking gravy, which I very much don't. As a child I hated stuffing, I think because of the weird texture of soggy bread, but I've more or less come around on that issue, though I would still never think, "damn this dish would be So Good with some wet stale bread that smells like the inner cavity of a bird!" And seriously, what's with the giblet thing? My grandmother is a fan of turkey gizzards in stuffing. Heinous.

I actually haven't been home for Thanksgiving in about ten years, so I don't get the meal very often, which is probably another reason I don't crave it, and I should say my mom does a pretty good job of doing sort of alternative dishes for holidays. God knows marshmallow topping and green bean casserole have thankfully never come anywhere near our holiday menus. And she makes the best yams.

But seriously. I'll just have some chinese take-out.

2 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, November 11, 2007, Blogger Scenic Artisan said...

traditional thanksgiving is dullsville.

 
At 9:34 PM, November 13, 2007, Anonymous jake said...

vegan thanksgiving is effing-goodsville! (even w/o a tofurky)

word.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares