Friday, November 23, 2007

Vital Post-Thanksgiving Poll: The Leftover Sandwich

After Thanksgiving dinner a few of us were discussing that delicious post-holiday feast, the leftover sandwich. At first we were all, oh yeah, turkey bits on the bread, yum yum, etc. And then I offered, "Yeah, it's so great, right? Put some extra mashed potatoes on there --" "WHAT?"

Apparently I'd offended the sensibilities of the two men to either side of me. They insisted, "The bread would get all soggy!" "Uh, what?" "Do you use stale rolls then??"

I'm sorry, but what sorry excuse for Thanksgiving cuisine are you having that your mashed potatoes are so sloppy they'd make a roll soggy? And I thought it was just common sense -- the leftover sandwich is made of LEFTOVERS. Not some of the leftovers, but the sum total of leftovers. It's a Thanksgiving feast between two pieces of bread, not just fodder for your next plain jane turkey sandwich. You warm up the roll, which is not stale, slice it in half, then slather tiny portions of turkey (dark meat, please), mashed potato, stuffing, perhaps a green bean or two, and if you're into that kind of thing, some cranberry sauce. I also happen to like mine with a little bit of mayo -- that cliches into a sandwich. That's not gross, that's American. Ask my mom.

2 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, November 24, 2007, Anonymous Brian said...

The sandwich is good, but might I also suggest trying my brother's version where he carefully layers all the wonderful thanksgiving leftovers onto a flour tortilla (mashed potatoes, stuffing, turkey, and grated mexican cheese)? Mmm... Thanksgiving Leftover Quesadilla.

 
At 2:35 PM, November 25, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

Ooh, that actually sounds excellent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares