Monday, November 19, 2007

Weekend Warrior

I spent my first fixer-up day at the house today. Lucky for me, Brian and his SUV volunteered to help me with some heavy lifting for the low, low price of a batch of chocolate chip, peanut butter chip, oatmeal cookies. We went to Home Depot and picked up far too much before I realized a huge chunk of my money is tied up at my title attorney's office until Monday or Tuesday, but I did get a new back door, two new toilets, front door locks, and an extraneous padlock that I forgot to buy the accompanying chain for.

So I finally got that moment that most people get during their closing, when the seller hands over the keys, except I ripped mine from a two-pack, super-plastic coated doorhandle package. We managed to get them on with only minor problems. The actual door handle is on upside down, ironic only because Brian had just finished telling me he'd done that in a former house of his, though a much lesser problem than when we forgot to add the tumblers the first time around. The prior owner revealed more of his incompetence today, as we realized the door and the deadbolt hole don't quite line up. (Also during my tour I realized that the kitchen cabinets are even worse than I'd first realized -- two lower cabinets close with a decent 1-2" gap!)

Side note -- I'm watching Flip That House and they just found out while cutting down a tree in the yard that the entire inside is filled with Africanized Bees (relatives of "killer" bees)...so, I think my project is looking up!

I also removed my first toilet evar! Thrilling. And, you know, pretty goopey. It was at this point I remembered I brought my camera to get some "before/after" pictures, but naturally ended up in its crosshairs sprawled underneath an old toilet, so, I'm still considering their upload potential. They'll probably make a good cover to the "Heather's Renovation" book when this is all over.

2 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, November 19, 2007, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Yeah! You can turn this into a home improvement blog now!

By the way, are you putting in new tiles in the bathroom? B/c you need to remove the toilet to do that, so if you're going to do it, now is the time. Congrats :)

 
At 11:14 PM, November 19, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

I will be retiling one of the bathrooms, but because I have close to $30K worth of work to do before I can even think about the bathroom, it's going to stay ugly-tiled for at least the next 6-12 months. And as clean as I'm sure those squatters were, I'm willing to put in a little labor and the cost of a wax ring in case they, you know, weren't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares