Saturday, December 29, 2007

And so it all begins...

Tonight is my last night in the best apartment I ever had, with great landlords and neighbors (except for the elephant herd), perfect entertaining space, awesome kitchen...

Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I pack it all up and move to My First House. I don't know if the water heater works yet (I turned it on before I left Friday morning, but it takes an hour to warm up), forget light fixtures -- there are no lights at all in either bedroom, the bathrooms are absolutely filthy after acting as staging areas and closets for the last month of construction, one window is still boarded up, my fridge and washer/dryer haven't been delivered, and I haven't yet fenced in the backyard. But I did get my first gift from the neighborhood welcome wagon (I'm actually standing in my backdoorway taking that shot, ha).

So yeah, I'm pretty nervous. I still have a lot of things to fix up and no more money to spend (for now) and am going to be living with some pretty big inconveniences for awhile. Like, eating out of a cooler and having 0 counterspace because I've already ripped them out but can't replace them. And using this hideous, open shower until I can save up enough to renovate it.

And let's not kid ourselves. I probably haven't found half the problems with this house. Friday I noticed the entire doorjam is coming out of place in the second bedroom.

But the important things are there. The water is on (after a supreme display of incompentance by WASA), the gas and heat are on with no remaining gas leaks, the floors are gorgeous, the electricity works and most of the outlets even have plates, and I have a stove so I can cook. What more do I need to get by for awhile?

HOLY COW I'M MOVING TOMORROW! WOO!

3 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, December 29, 2007, Blogger abf said...

I just watched your whole slide show of the work you have done on the house on Flickr. As an apartment dweller who is old enough and who makes enough money to venture out and buy a place of my own, I envy you, as I have just been too afraid to do it on my own. You can't be that afraid, you're doing it!

And, yes, the floors are beautiful.

Congratulations.

 
At 10:06 PM, December 29, 2007, Blogger TSC Girl said...

You might need a tension bar and a shower curtain, but honestly, I like the shower, and the tile could be way worse. My last apt had a solid GOLDENROD bathroom.

Congrats!!

 
At 11:33 PM, December 29, 2007, Blogger christian said...

open shower, you say?

the possibilities are endless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares