Saturday, December 22, 2007

Home stretch

First I'd like to share a story of weirdness. Like I do everyday, I opened a can of Progresso soup at lunch yesterday, poured it into my trusty tupperware bowl with the lid loosely on, and stuck it in the microwave for 2:30. I can usually hear the ding in my office, but it never came, so I went to check on it. There was the microwave, stopped with a whole 51 seconds to go, and inside someone had put a stack of 15 dessert paper plates under my bowl. WHY. It was the kind of scene you stumble upon the next morning after a fifth of Jack when you slithered home and attempted to make food at 4am. The plates did not extend beyond the bowl, so it's not like it was protecting the microwave from splashes. Plus I cook that shit everyday, and there was a lid on, it doesn't splash, and even if it did, um, let me clean it up, hmm? So some freak stopped my lunch mid-heat-up to fuck around with it and ruin a bunch of plates for no reason. Fucking lawyers.

Anyway. The floors are done. Behold the floors:
New floors!

And I will speak the name of Alpha Flooring far and wide. They did a beautiful job, especially the stairs and the little decorative effect on the side, which we hadn't talked about. The stairs were an absolute mess, totally unlevel, with a banister barely hanging on. They stained the banister to match the floors, and double secured it in with wooden screws. There was even one misstep -- they broke a piece of piping under the kitchen sink when they removed the sink/cabinet, which wasn't even really their fault, because the idiot who used to own the house glued the piping together instead of screwed it. Nevertheless, they bought a new piece and came back today -- on a Saturday -- and repaired it for no extra cost. You can reach them at 301-428-9216.

Today I rented a ziptruck and hauled all my non-essential non-furniture to the house. I had 7 boxes I stole from work and some various bags, and unloaded them each time I went to the house. I made 3 trips and actually did a pretty thorough sweep. Only kitchen stuff and a few office papers are left. Then I went to Home Depot to buy smoke detectors and fire extinguishers, then to Giant for a case of essential beer.

I rediscovered today that the people at Home Depot are idiots, and I'm past the point of attempting sweet talk to get my way. It might be the first time I've ever actually told someone she was a fucking moron and could go to hell. Had to happen someday I guess. And she was a fucking moron. Unfortunately, HD was the only public store that sells the fridge I want. Costco also sells it, so in the end I had my mom (who has a membership) buy me the fridge, where it was also $50 cheaper, and I bought my washer/dryer at Lowes. I had to call Lowes with a question about the appliance, and the world of difference in customer service between them and Home Depot is ridiculous. They're so nice and knowledgeable. Christ I hate Home Depot. Even the guy in India was an asshole -- I mean, do they put that in their job ads??

But they're both been purchased, and that officially ends the my loan-approved renovations. As soon as they're delivered, I can get the inspector to come check them out and get the other half of my money. Thank god. Though no doubt that will come with a number of mini-nightmares. The attic insulation (not loan approved) goes in Thursday, and I move in Sunday.

Of course, today I meant to do all the house tasks I still need to do before I move in, the most significant of that being the water. I still haven't turned it on. If there's a problem, or a problem with the water heater, things could get ugly. I'll know tomorrow. I also have to patch and paint the front door, add some weather stripping, install the previously broken window, caulk the back door, install the toilets....and that's just tomorrow. Almost there!!

3 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, December 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The floors look awesome. You made a good color choice. Way to go homeowner!

 
At 2:37 PM, December 25, 2007, Blogger Sandra Schwab said...

Heather, those floors look absolutely gorgeous!

Happy holiday-wishes from Germany! :)

 
At 11:38 PM, December 29, 2007, Blogger christian said...

i veto Progresso!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares