Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Things you learn when you become a cheapskate

Yesterday I went into CVS to get a batch of travel toiletries to donate to our firm's charity and pick up a few things for myself. I had to get some hair goo, and it turned out it was on sale, but naturally, there was only one left. I asked the 17 year old manager if there was more in the back, but I was out of luck. He squeaked to me, "Get a rain check at the counter." "A rain check?"

Apparently if something is on sale and they're out of stock, you can get a slip of paper that the checker fills out with the sale price and the quantity you want, and you come back later and get it for the sale price. Who knew? I mean, probably everyone besides me, but still, it was a nice discovery by someone who's still cringing while she clips coupons.

In less financially successful but at least somewhat vindicating news, one of my lenders (who I think of as the Front Office Woman; while the person I was arguing with yesterday is the Back Office Woman) called me today and profusely apologized, saying that the "grant" was not at all properly explained to me. So, I was right. And I would be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about a lawsuit, if it weren't for the fact that all our conversations about the grant were over the phone and not in writing. The truth is, I would have gotten the loan even if I'd properly understood this term, but the fact is I wasn't given the option. And though I appreciate the apology, what I'd really enjoy is my damn money back.

Anyway, I met my floor guy today and had the usual good news/bad news conversation. Turns out his initial estimate didn't include the kitchen, so that added a nice sum to the ticket, though I was able to argue him down a little. But the good news is that they were actually able to start today and should be done by Friday, meaning I can start moving in this weekend. He's also going to stain the existing banister to match the floors, and instead of choosing the stain color off his samples, we're going to wait until the floors are installed so he can put a couple of my final choices on the wood and I can really see how it fits in the house. My sense of humor is slowly dying.

1 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, December 12, 2007, Blogger Sarah Moffett said...

Oral v. written conversations. The bane of everyone's existence when it comes to misrepresented money conversations. I think the inhouse bank lawyers make sure there is a slide in employee orientation that specifically says "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T DO IT IN WRITING." Educated jerks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares