Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Heartwarming!

I don't know what it is with me and exclamation points lately, but I'm just going to go with it.  Anyway, I had one of those strange coincidences this morning that needed to be blogged.
 
Last night I was doing a little judging for Exposed (603 photos!) and got to JamesCalder's photographs.  I didn't think all too much of it, but remembered meeting him and his wife at the reception last year and how popular his Ben's Chili Bowl photo was.  Then this morning I was on my way to work and as I crossed 18th Street this guy on the other side stopped as I walked towards him, and then called, "Heather?"  I feel bad because my vision has severely deteriorated in the past three years of not going to the eye doctor, so I did this awful lean forward/squint thing before he patted his chest and said, "It's James." 
 
We walked about four blocks together and he told me another one of those stories that just melts my cold little heart.  Though he was on his way to his job downtown, this week is his last one -- turns out the photography he did for fun for a local group turned into a big success, and they asked him to come on full time!  Okay, okay, it's not like Exposed had anything to do with it, but I still think it's awesome to see all these former amateurs become so successful with their work, and so much of it has happened to them in the past year since the show, it's just been amazing for me to watch.  It's also inspiring that maybe I, too, can take some of my "amateur" skills and turn them into a job I love one day. 
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares