Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Life as a homeowner begins

As you may have guessed by my bloggy absence, I'm moved into my house and yes, misplaced the software Comcast gave me, so even though I'm "hooked up," I can't actually get online.  Luckily, a spare came in the mail today, so I should be able to get back on the nets tonight.
 
Not that I'll have any time to screw around online, because I'll be spending the evening troubleshooting my water heater.  After we got the toilet leak repaired on Saturday (which, as I suspected, was not even close to a $400 worthy repair), I asked my moving helpers to take a quick look at the water heater.  When I originally turned it on, my contractor told me I would hear a faint buzz as the electricity flowed through it, but I heard zippo, and I had a real fear it just wasn't on at all.  Luckily that was an easy fix, as well.  Brian took the face plate off and lo, the reset button was popped, so he popped it back in and we all heard the spectacular sound of electrons zipping about. 
 
It took about six hours longer than it was supposed to, but I did eventually get hot water, and after a full day of moving and unpacking and scrubbing my bathroom clean of Hep A, I was happy to indulge in a nice long shower.  Since I showered Sunday night, I didn't the next morning, so it wasn't until last night when I was washing my face that I realized the tap wasn't even remotely warm.  I turned on the shower for as long as my water-conserving mind would allow and yep, the hot water had vanished.
 
So I hit the breakers and took off the face plate to the water heater, but this time the reset button had not popped, and strangely, the insulation bits covering it were wet.  Well, fuck me.  So tonight I'm going to hit up the hardware store, which is becoming a regular part of my walk home, and get a multimeter so I can check the heating elements and thermostat and see where the issue lies.  If it's some kind of serious leak, well.  Well.  It turns out the individual pieces to the heater are pretty cheap, so I really hope it's a relatively simple fix and not a "Buy a New Water Heater and Wait Two Weeks For It" fix.
 
But hey, that's life now!  I'm slowly getting everything unpacked, and going through Buffy Season 5 when I need a break, at least when my friends aren't coming over with hilarious superhero movies co-starring Martin Sheen and/or early 80's alien tv series to watch.  Sorry I don't have more pics of the house yet, but I'll get some up once the comcast issue is resolved.  I have some really good ones of the medicine cabinet from hell, and the dry cheese sandwich I had for dinner last night, when I discovered the flooring guys unhooked my stove. 
 
Exciting News Though!  Keep your eyes peeled, fans of my housing saga.  A popular local blogger will be featuring the Cosmos Castle and all the struggles you read about here in the very near future.  More when it happens!

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, January 08, 2008, Blogger OutdoorType said...

To be fair, I think it was Nick who actually pushed the reset button. I merely "loosened the ketchup bottle" as they say.

Have fun with the multimeter tonight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares