Monday, January 28, 2008

Third Best Holla Ever

[An early twenties/late teens guy walks towards me on the sidewalk carrying a toddler.]

"Hey baby, how you doin? Looking for a momma. I'm looking for a momma, baby!"

I think we've found the point at which slang and normal English definitions meet and explode in a black hole of grammatical death.

***

This series could easily go on indefinitely. Living in DC, you just get used to being hollered at, but it's so much worse in Columbia Heights. I met someone at Mayorga coffee Saturday morning...a four block walk from my house. I was honked and/or hollered at no less than 12 times there and back. Today I was honked at three times waiting for the light to change on my block. It's beyond absurd. BEYOND.

4 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, January 28, 2008, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Translation = "I am a hottie, but I pretend not to know it"

Cue the "My Milkshake" song.

 
At 9:46 AM, January 28, 2008, Blogger Heather said...

Wait, so does that mean I just got hotter when I moved to Columbia Heights? Because I kind of feel like I've aged ten years...

 
At 8:31 PM, January 29, 2008, Blogger christian said...

nice shoes...wanna...uh...

ok, i'll just let myself out.

 
At 6:34 AM, January 31, 2008, OpenID mercimonsieur said...

Um, Heather, duh - you're hot! And you have gorgeous hair. I'd holla at you, too. If only to ask what products you use. And who cuts it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares